DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The Anti-Rice
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hillybilly and a few others met up in Dallas a couple of weeks ago. There was a semonstration and speech covering tuning and some of these features were used on a few members cars. Chris's truck was one of them. Fast foward about a week....I had chris tune my car in after the OEMs ID had some time to break in and what was very dynamic and detailed, became very tamed and flat. I realize that several competitiors goal is a flat signal across the board.....but in all honesty why?

If flat and boring is the reason for spending thousnands of dollars then maybe my goal is different all the way around? I did a A/B listening to not only my set ups before and after this new technique was used, but I also heard it in Chris's truck.......I agree that maybe his tweeters were at the time a little much, but with the new tune it seems to me as if the goal was to remove detail and dynamics out of the system.......or maybe I am completely lost and off key by wanting a well controlled system that can grab my around my head and can pour sweet sounds into my ears detailing everything, even when MJ grabs his crotch or some other little kid's.:eek:

If most's goal is a lifeless flat system then why switch from a OEM set up?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
personal enjoyment,

tune the way you like it.

unless you want to win an sq comp, then you have to tune the way 'they' tell you too.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
agreed.

by tuning flat, the idea is that you will hear the dynamics of the recording the way they were intended to be played back.

...but most people prefer some color, as most (especially modern day) recordings really suck.

chad - bit of trivia... do you know where the term "whip" came from? it is actually the from the acronym "wip" - standing for "work in progress"...at least, so i've heard. :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hell ya.........like mentioned above if you are competing then you have to follow there rules. If not then tune to your liking! After all that's why we do this. We want to hear the music the way we want to.:)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Tune based on your listening preferences and most importantly what encompasses the majority of your source material quality. A flat system with a full low end goes long ways when you are listening to Dire Straits and real musicians playing real instruments and can exhibit great dynamic range, but if what you listen to is mostly compressed popular music or rap(computer spliced tunes and systhesized beats)....may be another story.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Flat isn't the opposite of dynamic. In cars, some additional bass below 60Hz is helpful, but the rest can be flat. Dynamic refers to the ability to reproduce the difference between loud and quiet sounds.

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,360 Posts
I say the way you like it. Most ppl would say that I have to much midbass, but I love the sound of a nasty screamin metal guitar above all else.
It should only be about what you want. Everyone has their own idea of sonic bliss and sonic purity, for me it has nothing to do with an RTA or what a judge thinks.... Just my .02

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Flat isn't the opposite of dynamic. In cars, some additional bass below 60Hz is helpful, but the rest can be flat. Dynamic refers to the ability to reproduce the difference between loud and quiet sounds.
I would almost go so far as to say that flat may even sound MORE dynamic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I say the way you like it. Most ppl would say that I have to much midbass, but I love the sound of a nasty screamin metal guitar above all else.
It should only be about what you want. Everyone has their own idea of sonic bliss and sonic purity, for me it has nothing to do with an RTA or what a judge thinks.... Just my .02
100% agreed. I forgot how much I love midbass only running a 6.5" comp set and a single 10" sub. If the guitars and drums aren't full of tone and low-end punch, then it sucks for me. :D

-Bio

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I have to agree that a listener needs to tune to what they listen to the most. I happen to love Classical and Jazz, I'm finding that Flat (B-Weighting) sounds the best for my tastes.

·
18,542 Posts
I tuned my system for flat yesterday. I have no complaints whatsoever about it sounding 'flat'. In fact, a lot of songs seem to have more life to them now.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
i think it's more of what your ears are used to than anything. while i had to meet roberts tweak on my system halfway on the tweets and bring the sub back up a little the more pronounced mids are really starting to grow on me. at the end of the day every part of my system works well with each other and that's all that matters. i still like a little bit of a smile in my frequency response but now that i've gotten used to a flatter response what used to be my normal settings are now TOO MUCH. out of all the cars at the meet i feel mine was the most dynamic but not the best sounding. yeah that's possible.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The flat test proves the system has the ability to do so. Other variables can be decieving to the ear like the mood your in. I tried getting an acoustic guitar track to sound dynamic. :blush:

·
Banned
388 Posts
I can't tell you how many times that I have been told that flat sounds AWFUL

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I can't tell you how many times that I have been told that flat sounds AWFUL
Depends on what you are used to, I don't mind it but I like to modify it a bit. A little cut betaeen 160 and 250, and a cut around 2.5-3.3, I can get it done with 2 gentile parametric filters if it's already there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts