• None

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
the ps8 goes to +12dB
0db would indicate unity gain. anything over that is, well, gain.
So like I said, would you prefer if they relabeled it to -12 to 0? Look at most HU volume controls? We all know that they're usually -63dB to 0dB but most are labeled 0-30 or 35 or in some old Sonys, 0 to 63. It's just the way the control is labeled.

·
Director of Whatever
835 Posts
I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. I like it when it goes to 0db, with 0db being the maximum output before clipping. In the case of the PS8 though, and as it pertains to whether it is a line driver or not, +12dB definitely indicates that some amplification is going on.

Guys I am looking for a processor with the warmest + cleanest sound... any suggestions?
Warm sound would mean it has been altered, most likely due to even harmonics being added.
Cleanest would mean that it is transparent and no coloration has occurred.

You would need to rephrase your question if you expect a serious answer.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
No, +12 does NOT indicate anything other than how they chose to label it. You're assuming its. Boosting because of that label. The Alpine sub control is a perfect example. You'd also assume it boosts because its labeled 0 to +15 when in reality +15 is really 0. You're letting the label mess you up.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Guys I am looking for a processor with the warmest + cleanest sound... any suggestions?
I'm very skeptical that the DSP itself would color the sound in any way. Harmonics and SNR should be way down in level, beyond audibility threshold if the unit ain't crap.

·
Director of Whatever
835 Posts
No, +12 does NOT indicate anything other than how they chose to label it. You're assuming its. Boosting because of that label. The Alpine sub control is a perfect example. You'd also assume it boosts because its labeled 0 to +15 when in reality +15 is really 0.
You are missing my point. I agree with your statement above, but it is out of context. They labeled it +12 DECIBELS. A positive dB value indicates gain.

This became clear to me once I read the following: Gain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
18,428 Posts
No, +12 does NOT indicate anything other than how they chose to label it. You're assuming its. Boosting because of that label. The Alpine sub control is a perfect example. You'd also assume it boosts because its labeled 0 to +15 when in reality +15 is really 0. You're letting the label mess you up.
Paul, I disagree, respectfully. The ps8 increases the output of my deck by x amount by adjusting the sliders. It can be calculated easily using dB/voltage conversions and its spot on. I agree with oca when he says the + sign indicates a boost in signal. This is true.

Now, maybe I'm misunderstanding t here but as far as I can tell, the software is saying exactly what the hardware is doing. Which is what is expect. In this case, the 0 mark is actually 0dB in gain: aka: pass through. But any adjustment up or down will adjust the voltage out by some degree relative to the dB level indicated by the software.

I don't really understand why this is a concern, though. What is it you guys are arguing?

·
11,394 Posts
He was saying the ps8 was a unity gain processor, but said in the other thread it didn't appear that way when you were putting 4 volts in and getting 8 out.

·
18,428 Posts
okay. well, I have no idea what a unity gain is or is supposed to do other than what I just read online. the definition I found was it is simply a 1:1 ratio.

if so, then there seems to be two different, but factual, answers to this argument:

First answer: if the ps8 is set up as 0dB in/out (ie: no boost or attenuation of the incoming signal) then it's unity. it does whatever the deck is doing. This is the definition of unity gain.

Second answer: anything other than 0dB is not "unity". It's amplification or reduction in original signal. If you adjust the input or output gain you simply alter the voltage input:eek:utput ratio by the amount you chose in dB. ie: if I boost the input voltage by 6dB from a deck that was putting out 3v, it doubles the output voltage to 6v (since 6dB is ~2*x). This is a ratio of approximately 1:2. If I turn the deck down to produce only 0.5v out but keep the ps8's input slider at +6dB, then the signal out of the ps8 would be 1v; again a 1:2 ratio.

If you guys aren't talking about this, I have no idea what you're talking about and am walking away.

However, if you are talking about this, I still don't understand what the issue is. When I was checking levels of the ps8 with respect to the deck's output going in to the ps8, the input/output adjustments in dB matched the ratio I would expect to have in order to provide me with the output I measured. If I bumped the input signal up 4.5dB, it would mean the output voltage was multiplied by 1.67. Making any portion of the headunit's output to the ps8's input relative to the ps8's output the same ratio: 1.67. If left at 0dB, it's a simple pass through because there is no gain added or removed from the input signal going out of the processor.

Maybe I'm just waaaaayyyy off here in my interpretation of this current discussion, though.

·
Director of Whatever
835 Posts
That's the jist of it, I think.
In his defense, Paul was simply repeating what Fred had told him numerous times. And by "unity gain" I think he actually meant that the PS8 only attenuated the input signal, and at its maximum volume setting on a given channel and assuming no EQ, the output voltage would equal that of the input.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mosconi 6 to 8

I've only used two on my system. installed one of the first ps8's, had nothing but problems. put in another one, more problems (hissing noise, losing settings, 1 minute start up time, tuning issues I think, I don't tune, my installer does.
in the little time I sampled it I always felt like it sounded processed.

installed the 6 to 8. WOW!!!!!! not sure if it sounds warm but I think it's accurate. not 100% sure, really new to all of this. all I know is it sounds awesome and improved my system at least 100%.

on a side note, the other biggest noticeable change was when I switched from hertz hsk165xl mid bass to cdt-06. 25-30% improvement in overall sound quality, affected the whole stage.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I am going with a ps8. It specs are very impressive and it comes highly recommended also I got a great deal on caraudio.com. I was initially going to go with a 6to8 though. I'm sure it does an outstanding job!

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Used bit1 - bit10 - Moscini 6to8 - Helix P-DSP. These are all transparent. They add nothing to the sound with the EQ bypassed. Measured them with rightmark and all showed excellent or very good results. Only exception was the bit 10 which had noise issues. I draw the conclusion that none of these have any type of sonic signature.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

·
Director of Whatever
835 Posts
I wouldn't trust Rightmark. There are a lot of things that it will not see, and the sound cards we use don't help. Of course, anything that looks bad on Rightmark should be avoided or fixed, but just because something looks good in Rightmark does not mean that the signal is transparent.

The problems munkey321 describe remind me of what happens when you feed an amp that can only take 4V, a much higher level preout signal, like the 8V DSPs like the PS8 or 360 can put out.

I think the tuning is very, very important, and if you had to choose between great tuning or a great DSP, great tuning would be a better choice. The H800 and PS8 offer a lot of flexibility with tuning, each one in their own way, and the H800 with the Controller is the shiznit, with the ability to change xovers, invert phase, create bandpass filters with differnet slopes on the low-pass and high-pass, etc.

·
4,981 Posts
IMO, i have used quite a few different digital processors over the years, and when working reliablity, i have not experienced any real coloration of the sound from them other than increased floor noise on certain units. but my ears are kind old and sucky :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am the one that did munkeys car. Other than quite a few early production units, we got one of the first production units when Arc started shipping to dealers. Bottom line is we had noise problems with the unit, to the point I know for a fact it was sent to Mr. Zeff himself to determine the cause of the issues we saw after we returned it to Arc and they confirmed our findings. The second replacement unit also had noise issues, however not as severe. We also experienced some annoying software/firmware issues with both units. Even with the very quick after release, firmware update before SEMA. We saw several issues corrected but a pretty severe one created with that update. It's my understanding that these issues have been corrected with subsequent updates, but at the time the customer and I determined that he didn't want to wait for that. I have no doubt that the PS8 is a quality piece, and I've had the pleasure to hear a couple cars like, Vince's Scion, John's 4runner and Fred's Saturn that sound great with it. Like Bing said when a good processor is working properly it will be transparent, unfortunately these PS8's were not working properly.

The Mosconi 6to8 is a great piece and in this situation it really saved my butt and helped satisfy a customer which in the end is my biggest concern.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I think the tuning is very, very important, and if you had to choose between great tuning or a great DSP, great tuning would be a better choice. The H800 and PS8 offer a lot of flexibility with tuning, each one in their own way, and the H800 with the Controller is the shiznit, with the ability to change xovers, invert phase, create bandpass filters with differnet slopes on the low-pass and high-pass, etc.
I've read that a couple times now and it doesn't make sense to me. Unless your definition of a DSP is different than mine, the H800 and the PS8 are DSP units.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts