DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people ask what the best deadener is so I thought I'd ask a slightly more technical question regarding a different piece, which would be a sound barrier.

From what I've read there's 3 main ways to try and make a tomb-like car. Dampening, absorption, and blocking.

Anyone have any direct experience comparing different products? I'm particularly interested in VB3 from cascade audio since it's a lead foil sandwiched between 2 layers of closed-cell neoprene. Most other 'blockers' seem to be made from a combination of closed-cell foam and vinyl, which I'd imagine can make it quite cheaper to produce.

Any idea as to how much more (or less) effective VB3 is vs. something like Luxury Liner Pro?

Again, I'm asking about performance....not just price. Of course, please feel free to chime in regarding your opinions of price vs. performance.

·
142 fastest gun in town
483 Posts
From first hand use VB3/VB3.5 for tranny humps and wheel wells, curved area's, quick easy.
Fox pro has made his own and I believe worked well.

If you really want tomb-like car I believe Jimmy Hoffa has the only one.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
If you really want tomb-like car I believe Jimmy Hoffa has the only one.
:laugh:

I've sold a lot of barrier mat. I've built my own a few times over for my car out of many matrials. I've also distributed Cascade for a few years. My advice if you want the best is to contact a CAE rep in your area and get a price on a box or two of VB-3. Depending on what you get it for, it probably cannot be beat for the money. Their nitrile foam is awesome!

If you do your math and it doesn't work you have lots of other options. Of course, I'd encourage DIY'ing your own and there's more than enough info on this form to help you.

The performance parameters you're concerned with are....
- STC or STL numbers from the manufacturer
- how easy the product is to use (as drtool said)
- the ability to maintain continuity in the vehicle without taping a ton of seams

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
DIY FTW!

No mat will beat something you make for yourself. I like expirimenting with different materials. Get some samples and then compare them to something you make for yourself. Not only will you save money, but you can build it to your own specs. As Fox said, there is plenty of info on here to help you design your own barriers. I did and you can too. I prefer lead to MLV, but MLV is easier to get. In the end, you decide.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After glancing into some of the DIY methods, it still usually ends up being cheaper (in small quantities) to just go with a prefab from second skin or the like.

I am kind of curious as to if there's any real technical comparisons for physical proof of superiority of any particular design or materiel. i.e., dense layer sandwiched between 2 layers of foam or just foam then the dense layer. Lead vs. vinyl and how that blocks what frequencies and at what densities, etc.

Any ideas as to what the 'common' road noise frequencies are? car-frame/panel resonating frequencies are and what would be 'ideal' for dampening and blocking those frequencies?

Maybe there's too many variables, but it'd be interesting to see if there were a highly technical evaluation of products and materials :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts