DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just told me about his CDT 07 mids that he scored for A GOOD PRICE. He says that its the best mid he has had by far and he has had many. Im still finding it hard to believe but would like to know the diy version of this mid. Any ideas cheapboy? Just curious as I would like to try it out for fun as there is no way im paying that much for a cdt set because they have yet to impress me

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but I thought it was funny that I was IMing with NewTitan about his new mids as I saw this post.

:lol:

TomT

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
you two are letting the cat out the bag :) before I even get to do a review

hey cheapboy GREAT NEW SITE!!!!!

im almost scared to post anything since it is so techincal LOL . Im learngin so much!!!!!

here are some more pics for those intersted in size and whatnots

Picture # 1

Picture # 2

Picture # 3

Picture # 4

Picture # 5

Picture # 6

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Looks like a great driver there! Doesn't seem like any Vifa I've seen. According to CDT's website their driver has a copper shorting ring in the motor. I couldn't comment on the performance because I've never owned or tested one. However, I'd say for what they're asking it'd have to be one phenomenal driver beyond anything else to be worth the money!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have talked to some CDT people and they all tell me these drivers have been made by CDT which I think is in Europe. No Vifa drivers this time.

·
Registered
415 Posts
umm..Vifa drivers are made in Europe too.. and they use the same baskets as the vifa drivers.. theyre probably not the same exact drivers as any current vifas but that also doesnt mean they didnt have anything to do with any part of the design or build.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i dont know the prices for the midwoofers alone, but i cant see them beating out some Seas Excel drivers in midbass and midrange...maybe topend extension, but if they are a composite cone then i dont think the topend extension would be that great either...

edit: just doing some research on the new CDT stuff...

CDT:

VIFA:

BTW, the vifa tweeters looks like they have an excelent response! Email NpDang if you wanna order some... http://diymobileaudio.com/store/store.html :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah those are the same tweeters.

I'm willing to bet the 07 mids are not that great compare to what any of the higher end DIY mids can do.

David

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I sell those tweeters for $26 each :) They're not bad at all.. if a bit warm sounding... but not nearly as good as the Vifa xt19's.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
basket definitely looks like d-s-t made driver,
maybe let someone measure the T/S and compare to what d-s-t drivers?
pretty sure it's a modified/special made driver though

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
LOL man you guys are rough and you havent even heard them yet

I can understand I was clearly a non cdt fan after my old hd-63 set :)

but these are ten times better in my opinion

and the basket is a modfied vifa basket (its clearly larger than any current vifa driver)

the tweeter is the same frame, but from what I have been told they are both made by cdt in there own build house so who knows--I certainly dont

all I know is that in my truck they sound great :)

Im working on the review still and, unfortunatley I dont have any rta stuff so it will be just subjective

I may buy a second pair here soon, and if npdang wants to test em out I can send em down (just be nice to them) :)

added the t/s specs for you bashing pleasure :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
just because CDT gets to put the sticker on the back of the motor stucture doesnt mean the whole speaker was manufactured in house. :wink:

:p jk!

Im not saying the new CDT's sound bad and im definitely saying Vifa products sound bad.

Btw, i cant seem to find a prices on those mids alone. Whats CDT's asking price for the mids alone?

Also, Youre picture shows the basket just slightly over 7 inches
newtitan said:
Picture # 1
if you look at the basket im comparing it to..
10K2HVN said:
180 millimeter = 7.0866142 inch

And if you look at the mounting depth

73 millimeter = 2.8740157 inch

newtitan said:
Picture # 2
2.87 inches PLUS the thick sticker on the back of the motor should be about the same mounting depth of the new CDT driver.

However, if they redesigned the motor with copper shorting rings then it already is a different driver from the one linked above.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
the 7's specs aren't that far off from the MG line.
The set may sound better due to better design with the passives and/or it works better in your application.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I would run a DynAudio mid before ever running that thing. But then again, the price of the Dyns are prolly 2x that of the 07.

·
Registered
415 Posts
AzGrower said:
But then again, the price of the Dyns are prolly 2x that of the 07.
i think its the other way around...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
10K2HVN said:
AzGrower said:
But then again, the price of the Dyns are prolly 2x that of the 07.
i think its the other way around...
Really? Fawk. The Dyns are $299 each. If these CDTs are much more than that, then why bother with them? DynAudio hasnt had to upgrade or re-design their speakers in the past 10 yrs. That says something about how well they desing their stuff. Geez, I didnt expect the 07s to be that much $$. Screw that chit mane.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
wow man you guys are waaay cold LOL for something you have never heard, and are obviously not open minded enough to even try

I admit Ive never heard dyns, but everything I have read states that they are indeed old technology, and with that being said they have been outdistanced in the midbass department by many other drivers

who knows I will get a pair one of these day (the mw170) to try em out.

and no they are not more than the dyns, which are way overpriced if you ask me for what they spec out as

this is the internet guys no one pays retail for there stuff :)

and I will say that 10k you are research master as that tweet is indeed the same

if you look at the spl, Fres, Vas, qms, qes, and qts they are EXACTLY the same

the mids are different in almost every aspect though
but who knows maybe theya re just rehashed vifas-lol

maybe when Im on to the next mid I can send them to mr dang for some hard numbers

and I run them active that 07 crossover is as big as an amp LOL

for my particular door , and truck im happy with them more so than anything else I have had so far

but maybe its some other install improvement

1 - 20 of 24 Posts