DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meaning if you have run with three speakers and an amp and sounded good as an example. My business partner swears by his two up front, one sub, one amp sysytem. Now I am not knocking it, just curious as to how many pieces you guys run.:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I started with 3 speakers/1 amp when I started getting back into car audio a few months ago. An 8" Alpine and a set of Morel 6.5 coax's. It sounded fantastic to me,but of course has started to snowball into more is better,just like it always does for me. I doubled up on the 8's and got the Morel 6.5 comps,doubled the amps and will need to utilize a speaker or two in a mono midbass application,so the 500w channel from the 900/5 isn't wasted.
Oh well..

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So forgive my lack of knowledge but does anyone feel that you can have quality sound with nominal equipment?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have always been a proponent of the KISS approach. I generally like to run 1-multi-channel amp, fully active to no more than a 2-way front and single sub. I will also run rear factory speakers from HU power.

My best setup ever was a HAT 2-way, L81-2Pro with a single JL 13W3V3 down-firing in center console. I think a 2-way plus sub can cover the entire audible frequency range effectively and efficiently, without over complicating it.

So forgive my lack of knowledge but does anyone feel that you can have quality sound with nominal equipment?
Yes. As long as your talking nominal in price but not performance. I mean, if your amp puts out it's rated power with minimal distortion, it doesn't have to cost a mint. Further, quality raw drivers can come at very affordable prices. Pair the 2, run it from a clean source, and install for best imaging, least distortion/reflections, etc. and you have quality sound at a nominal price.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this would be with no external processor correct?

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
I can see his point of simplicity. Makes tuning a heck of a lot easier, not to mention the install aspect.

In my work truck I run a head unit with 7 band EQ and t/a feeding a single 4 channel amp, 5.25" component set in the doors and single 10" bridged on the amps rear. No rear speakers.

My street vehicle currently runs two extended frequency mids on the dash, a 7" mid-woofer in each front door, and two 10" in the cargo area of course. Running active on this one so of course there's a simple headunit, DQX feeding a 4 channel and a mono block. No t/a in this setup.

Essentially both are similar with the latter having an extra sub. The almost minimalist work truck sounds good, yet going full active with the EQ power of DQX in the street vehicle makes the big difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
Kyheng, how did that system sound? Did the midbass drivers go deep enough to satisfy? Not like a true sub, but compared to some stock vehicles that have no sub, yet still have decent bass at low volumes....

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I can only say it do sound pretty decent and the "sub bass" goes quite deep at 50-63Hz... If you want to have "Bass I love you" type of bass, you will need a real sub... Which my friend are ready for this, just need a pair of RCA, an amp and a sub....
But then he only listen to jazz and 80's songs, so sub is not needed for him....
His speakers as below, just in case you interested on it :
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories
As for the HU, he choose that is because he can adjust the Q factor on the EQ, which is quite funny for a lower end unit....

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
Visaton.... nice drivers! Heard of them long ago, but never got to try any. Not aware of too many places to get them from in the US. I think E-speakers is one, but usually expensive. The 6.5" looks like dang good door candidates with extension to mate with just about any tweeter. Power handling is mediocre, but that's what makes them attractive for minimal installs. Pretty much like the Jamo Zaph reviewed.

I liked the earlier Pioneer headunits. Even though they only had a 3 band parametric, it was very useful for simple systems as long as you didn't use some wild driver. Was always satisfied when using them whether for me or my girlfriend's ride. Of course now that's a little bit different. I've advanced further into SQ so a wider band EQ is a must for me and I dumped her ass 4 years ago. Two of the best moves I've made in a long time! LOL

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,363 Posts
When I started competing 2 years ago I ran a simple 4 speaker system in my car.

2 H Audio Trinities
2 OEM Dynaudio MW180's(came with the car)
2 Adcom 4402's
Eclipse CD7100

I entered and won 4 out of 5 shows with that setup scoring in the 70's consistantly. My setup last year that won finals wasnt much more complex.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Separates u front 6.5"
Single 12" sub
Amp for front stage
Amp for sub
Active xover on sub

700W total amplification

Sounds excellent

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I would probably hate it if I could go back in time and listen to it now, but about a decade ago I was quite happy with a head unit, 1/2 DIN EQ, 2-way components up front on a bridged 4-channel amp, and a single 12" sub on a mono amp. I was inspired by the KISS principle and I believe a lot of nice installs from the 80s-90s era had setups similar to mine.

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
It is my belief that K.I.S.S. should still include some sort of decent EQ to deal with the car environment unless you were lucky enough that the acoustics actually complimented the speakers. That's quite rare for most people just throwing something together. We tend to just settle for how it sounds out of the box, but honestly a good EQ opens doors to the use of various drivers that may cost less than actual "car audio" brands.

Wish they would bring back the lil half din EQ's that covered at least 9 bands or better or at least make it a standard feature in most headunits. 3 band parametrics just don't seem to cut it as there's quite a bit of sacrifice with most. Cost might go up on the headunits, but it would be worth the flexibility when doing a small install.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
With a wide Q a 3-band parametric EQ covers quite a bit of the spectrum. You're not losing much vs. a 7-band graphic EQ. Even so, I think most people don't understand equalizers and don't set them manually.

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
I agree..... however, I've tried 3 band peq's and minimal band graphic. Neither is enough for my tastes. My usual cuts are rather odd where as a wide Q will make something suffer and 7 bands usually leave out some important frequency. For others it might be good enough.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm paring down my stuff...I'm gonna run multiple amps for the power I want but it'll be my DRZ9255 head unit running a Focal KRX3 set up front active along with a single sub up front. No external processors and no rear fill.
That's about as simple as I can make it I think.
There will be 3 amps though, a 4 and 2 channel and a mono sub amp.

·
Registered
126 Posts
all my decent systems have been

front speakers with a passive crossover
3 or four channel amp
dual 8" subs
- rear speaks are off

obviously i have a parametric EQ or EQ off the deck.

·
Registered
524 Posts
kdc x994, kenwood 4 and mono amp, ID chameleons set up as coaxesusing passive xovers, IDQ12. The HU does the active x-over, TA, and minor eq, 5 band :( only.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Going minimal I've had a nice system with coax and pair of tens and two amps. Suppose I could have run a 4/5ch but would rather sub have its own amp no matter so I can change them out. I like a good HU, suppose a good processor would do the same if you want stock HU. I think the HU/processing must be good quality for SQ as well as the front drivers, however I have had econo coax from a good brand (say alpine/etc) sound really good so price is not necessarily a factor it depends on the install and product. I would need minimum 50rms/ch front and 300 on subs, more if I want it to go louder or more if I use a single better sub (that will typically be less efficient). I find what works depends on the car, some speakers work in one install and not in another...some vehicles need more or less sub, to reach my minimum. Also like to have rears in longer cabin vehicles.

The first system I had in this car was mostly out of my storage room and not bad. It didn't go that low or loud but sounded nice. It was 4" comp set and 5x7 coax rears parallel on an old alpine 2x40, and an old 150 ppi on a single mtx 10. Yeah the 4s could not make any bass but were very musical.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts