DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I connect it to the sub (a type r 12) it has very little output and has a scratchy sound. I know it's the amp b/c I've tried diff sub, rcas, ground etc... I did notice that one of the rca inputs moves and looks a little bent and the other doesn't. Can anyone help me out maybe as to how I may fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
how much dose the RCA move? and how bent? if you broke the board, that would explain it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bent enough to notice but not very loose. Should I take it apart to look? It's not under warranty. Any way to fix that if that is the case?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about pic. Only have my iPhone. I think everything looks normal tho. No smell or melted parts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Bad RCA, you usually have to pull the board from the amp to get at it. You can desolder it and inspect. Sometimes the wire inside gets bent and you can fiddle with it and fix it. Sometimes its broke, other times it cracks the solder on the board. Pac parts has a lot of alpine parts it would be easier to just replace it if you are sure that is the issue, many people can do a little solder job like that. Just make sure you get all the stuff back on the sink clean and with the paste if it has, etc, back together right. Check the solder closely before you do, it may just need a resolder. Other times it rips the trace off the board that is harder to fix.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Bad RCA, you usually have to pull the board from the amp to get at it. You can desolder it and inspect. Sometimes the wire inside gets bent and you can fiddle with it and fix it. Sometimes its broke, other times it cracks the solder on the board. Pac parts has a lot of alpine parts it would be easier to just replace it if you are sure that is the issue, many people can do a little solder job like that. Just make sure you get all the stuff back on the sink clean and with the paste if it has, etc, back together right. Check the solder closely before you do, it may just need a resolder. Other times it rips the trace off the board that is harder to fix.
what he said ^^

also grab a magnifying glass and check aruond the RCA. sometimes the board can have a small crack in it the will break a trace. hard to see.

if you have a DMM, set it to ohms and see if the center pin on the RCA connector has continuity on the board. if it does, then the problem is prolly electronic and needs repair.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Most amps use the shield as a ground reference. Put it this way, how does your amp know how big the signal is in the center wire, how loud should it play that signal? It does it by comparing the signal to the ground. This is why ground issues cause big problems. Its like measuring a person's height without putting the end of the rule on the floor, you can't do it. So it needs both connections to work, the shield and the center.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't tell if that's the prob. Can this be done.... Can I use the speaker level inputs on the amp instead of RCA inputs? Cut off one end of RCA and connect it that way?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
You can but not sure how it will work if you are pushing a HU signal into those.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts