DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Which system would you be interested in ?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys...

A decision needs to be made on a system design and I would like your help. Here are the options:

1. The first system design would employ an all active 3-way front end set-up with two 12" subs. The amplifiers used will be of World Class quality as will the headunit/processor.

2. The second system would employ the same speakers and subs but using a quasi-passive set-up. The frontstage will be completely passive using only the best components. The substage will be actively filtered with Time Alignment available. Two amplifiers would be used in this set-up. Both would also be World Class, however quite rare and quite special.

If you were at a show and these vehicle were sitting next to each other but were given the opportunity to see/hear only ONE of two systems which would be of most interest to YOU and why...

VOTE NOW... You could be helping make a big decision !

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I vote passive...reason being to showcase that a passive system can be on par with an active system ;) Curious to see it compete and see how it fairs against the norm of completely active systems in competition.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
azngotskills:
Thanks for your input !
Let ask you a question... Do you believe a passive system can sound as good as an active system ? :D

·
18,696 Posts
I vote passive...reason being to showcase that a passive system can be on par with an active system ;) Curious to see it compete and see how it fairs against the norm of completely active systems in competition.
x2. If I were at a show, I'd choose the passive car.

But, I most likely wouldn't build that system myself.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
azngotskills:
Thanks for your input !
Let ask you a question... Do you believe a passive system can sound as good as an active system ? :D
In theory yes, but i havent personally heard it for myself. Reason being why i would chose to hear the passive system and see how it stacks up to active systems that i have heard :D

I would built a completely passive system (including sub) in a car if i had the equipment, drivers, installation/fabrication techniques, and the know how to optimally create one. Imagine running a world class 3-way frontstage plus sub off one 2-ch amp through passives ;) Is it possible though????

·
18,696 Posts
I'm not 100% I could build a passive setup as easy as I could an active one. Plus, I change things constantly and I like the ability to be able to do so.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotcha... Thanks to both of you for your thought's !

Let's get some more votes going guys... What do you all think ?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Speaker placement is critical in a Passive Setup; it really becomes an issue in a car.

I would love to hear a great passive system in a car.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
azngotskills:
Thanks for your input !
Yes it can. I'm running my speakers passively because there was nothing I could do to make my speakers sound as good actively as I could using the passives. I consider myself to be a capable tuner, but there's something to be said about some good passive crossover networks.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Speaker placement is critical in a Passive Setup; it really becomes an issue in a car.
No more so than in an active setup.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to do the passive setup (except to say "look what can be done") because it would be orders of magnitude more work for the same basic result. Now, one could simply do an active setup and fit the curves into a circuit optimizer such as Speak32 to derive a passive that would sound basically the same except for a small efficiency penalty. I suppose that would be the most efficient way, but it's still much more work than just playing with a GUI or twiddling knobs.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree an Active set-up would be "easier" to tune... No question about that...

I am curious which system would be more interesting to you guys...

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
If we are talking about the difference between a 3 amplitude's active or one prestigio passive...and you aren't biamping the passives....I still say active...but every single one of these btiches helping you woitht the exact same decision I've been battling with are gonna get a wormhole zero'd in on their asses. I have an idea. I'll build the three-way active since that's what I have and you go with the passive. I am currently biamped with passive and it sounds terrific. All world class....I dunno. Probably active.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
We may need to know a little more about the processing. Also, all things considered, what will the power differences be? IOW, active would be 500 to the fronts and 400 to the sub but passives 700 to the fronts........this would help.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
We may need to know a little more about the processing. Also, all things considered, what will the power differences be? IOW, active would be 500 to the fronts and 400 to the sub but passives 700 to the fronts........this would help.
It doesnt matter, thats not the point of the question/poll. He wants to know if you would basically rather hear a passive or active SQ demo car....think price is no object ;)

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
It doesnt matter, thats not the point of the question/poll. He wants to know if you would basically rather hear a passive or active SQ demo car....think price is no object ;)
taking a gander....it matters. NO system is complete without an idea of specs to chit chat about. If we are gonna talk speaker placement and how processing will affect it then we should consider specs.

There also may have been clues when he said a world class would push this but a "quite special world class" would push that...I think it matters. So go ahead and not listen to all the power comments to come.

I don't think we need specifics just a general idea. World class component speakers SHOULD have world class crossovers which should be efficient but you'd have some loss in power. So to answer, we need to know what we have to work with only to the extent to decide whether or not it would matter.....ya feel me?

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
and I NEVER consider price. Bite thine petulant tongue.:D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Headunit:
Burr-Brown, High quality

Processing...
Capability of TA, Digital X/O's, 30+ bands of EQ.

Speakers:
Very high-end 3-way set, hand matched passive components.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts