DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm switching up the sound in my boat to ease up on the battery draw. I currently run a JL 13w7 on the JL 1000/ in the engine compartment and it sounds awesome, but just uses too much power. I want to change to two 10s or 12s under the dash and use as little power as possible while maintaining some good spl. I have space enough to use about one cube on each enclosure. Around $200 for both would be a good budget for the subs only, new or used, I don't care about brand. Any thoughts on sub options?

Thanks!
Doug

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Get some pro audio sub with high efficiency... if you can find one with a poly cone, anyway... or else at least make sure it's coated paper.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Ported or IB is the only way to go in a boat, don't sell yourself short.... 10's seem to blend in the best

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
That is a tough one. In general what makes subs be more efficient are the following:
Larger cone
vented enclosure
multiple subs (adding cone area)
lower power drivers, but also may need larger boxes for same tune
some also run IB subs in boats, you put in more and/or larger subs for more output but you have no box or box weight

You fit what you can, but try to consider the above and see if any of it could work for you.

Some on here also said the RF Prime subs were good for lower power subs, but I've not used them. With a good brand like RF/JBL/similar you likely can't go wrong anyway they are very competitive. A lower power sub should work better on lower power, long as the box is tuned for it. The expensive high power tiny box subs are very inefficient and take a lot more power to run per dB, they will go louder but at considerably more input power. So for better efficiency running lower power subs can get you good output on a lot less wattage...in vented or IB. Figure more subs IB to equal vented usually. If you go IB make sure the sub is going to sound good that way, for example most marine subs are tuned for IB most car subs are more for a box....not that they can't work and if you have EQ its not as big a deal.

One other thing is if you can use some 6x9/7x10/8x12s in your boat, they will bump up the midbass compared to 6.5/etc. Bigger the better, they get louder too more cone area helps that as well as getting lower. Four 7x10 can sound like a bar system and go pretty loud, its not bad for party music even with no subs at all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Get some pro audio sub with high efficiency... if you can find one with a poly cone, anyway... or else at least make sure it's coated paper.
Why pro audio? Do they do better with no cabin gain? Could you elaborate? I have made some of the Bill Fitzmaurice horn designs, but they are HUGE.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Unfortunately I don't have room for a vented enclosure tuned properly, unless there is a sub that works well in less than 1.5 cubes, ideally 1 cube. I am trying to use the larger cone area, lower power, higher efficiency, as you recommended above. I haven't considered the infinite baffle due to the space behind where the subs will be are under the bow seats which will be stuffed full of life jackets, towels, etc., BUT I am curious, because IB subs will save me more space under the dash. It is my understanding that I would need 4x the driver area for IB to work well for reference sound. That said, it's a noisy boat, so I just need loud with low consumption, small space - so I could make a high tune in a smaller than suggested vented with the right sub.

Thanks again for the suggestions

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
efficiency, efficiency, efficiency

In drivers, enclosure, and amplifier power. Forget about everything below 40 cycles and go for kill.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
dayton HO series use small ported boxes. .6 cu ft 10" around 1 cu ft for 12"

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Why pro audio? Do they do better with no cabin gain? Could you elaborate? I have made some of the Bill Fitzmaurice horn designs, but they are HUGE.
You don't have to put them in a horn cabinet.

Pro audio 12" woofers tend to be around 95dB 1W/1m instead of 85-90dB 1W/1m that home audio drivers are. They do that by concentrating on, say, 50Hz-up instead of the really low stuff. But that's good enough.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha, that's what I'm looking for. 20hz bass sucks the power. The JBL GTO at $90 shipped is the top of the list so far at 93db/1w/m 350 RMS.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
IB - In a car I figure double the subs (4 instead of 2) and end up with more output than a box, but that is a low tuned box with similar FR. A ported box tuned at 50Hz spl style will go louder...louder the higher you tune, but I can't stand to listen to them. I port my boxes around 30 depending on sub size and fs. Some subs will play more spl IB, the Infinity 1262w I had were strong about 40 and up IB. Even more so in a 1.25cf, but IB I could LP them and they played 30Hz no problem...in the box they would not. They were loud in a spl way if I raise the LP.

Kind of hard to use pro audio for subs because they don't play low. SPL is often figured at much higher frequency. They obviously work great in buildings, just make sure they can make the FR you want before you order them. Most of the time you need about twice the diameter driver as an automotive speaker for a similar FR, or something like that.

They also use tubes for boats, sonotube enclosures. They are light you just paint the tubes with resin to waterproof, maybe a layer of glass or use waterproof carpet over it. Back when I was doing boat installs weight was a big issue since it slows you down.

I'd love to try some of those lanzar 8x12s, if they were any good they would rock a boat and cover part of the sub range too making it easier on them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes it takes some work to get good bass in there with no cabin gain, weird nulls in the boat but subs under the dash have somewhat of a corner loading effect.

This is where they would go (awesome coaxials and sweet rope light removed on purchase). Before I used some ID8 d2v3 on each side that I was not at all impressed with, but sound great now in my truck. Old photo here, but the old .5ft^3 enclosures went up from where the coax pictured is. I can use this space all the way to the floor and sides for a triangular shaped, 7" deep enclosure. Maybe enough space for vented?

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Keep in mind bassheads.....

Boat = not **** for transfer function.
You got that right, most of the ones I did were offshore style deep vees with big block I/Os with thruhulls. I think the extra midbass from larger woofers really helped because of this. 6x9 or larger sounded way better than 6.5 if you had subs or not. I never did one with too much midbass. If you put them by the floor in the backseat, the bright 7x10 4 way worked great as that ate all the highs down there. You had to be serious if you wanted to hear it at 70-80mph lol. On top of that most of them didn't want subs due to the weight, as they all raced people all the time. So we put quad 6x9/7x/etc in there and it worked in a boat much unlike a car lol. Between the water, beer, and other party things nobody wanted to get too complex either. The speakers had to be durable and easily replaceable lol. To start with I usually went with 7x10 and 6.5 or quad 6x9 parallel on a [email protected] amp. Today I would get a 100+rms x4 class D, and I found some 8x12s I'd have to try those. I'd run IB subs or build some light sonotubes, but with gas like this I've gotten into more land based toys.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The enclosure in there now with the 13w7 is easily over 100#, so we will be getting lighter for sure by half. There is no room for anything under the rear seat except for amps and too short for any speakers. I will be swapping out my JL XR650 comps for some 6x9 Morels that I found when they were still $26/pair on Amazon. Hope to get some extra mid bass there and they are also more efficient than the XRs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any other ideas for two sealed or vented 10 or 12" subs? Efficient, around $100, works in under 1.75ft^3 - SPL is the priority

JBL GTO1214D is my top pick so far

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
What is behind those coax down there?

I see where you are at not much room, I didn't see the photos till now. I don't have time to model some subs for it, but lot of people here happy with JBL subs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts