DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know to look at things like rms power,xmax,ext. but are there SPECIFIC things you should be looking for in a sub when you are comparing them, such as
1.what size (diameter) vc
2.what is the vc made of
3. the BL of a woofer

iver seen alot of people mention these questions but no gives a straight answer. lets say im building a set up for daily driving/spl meaning super loud on music not really test tones. how would i know excactly what to look for in the subs im comparing?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Factors of reason depend on what the listener is looking to achieve - SPL or SQ. I for one am not a believer of Loud & Clear.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
To me it all depends on the install I mean it ranges from budget to power, IB to sealed or ported, high efficiency or tiny box....you need a different sub for each. I am running $40 pyles 15s and they work fantastic for the price, and not bad at all compared to others. But they are spec for IB and meet my needs...and somehow they don't have any cone noise and have stitched tinsels. I have hammered them fairly hard w/a bass CD, but don't with any regularity it is too loud for music really. Even put a smaller amp on them now but not sure its quite enough. Since I have a pair they don't have to work hard normally. Now if I had a small box in the car I would have a totally different sub.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok lets just say im looking for a daily driver sub that can beat for extended peridods of time and power and amp wattage arent an issue

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
IMHO there are lots of good subs out there, just saying you need to select what best meets your needs there is no one best sub really. A super loud single, I'd say a 12 like an alpine type r or x to a JBL GTi, a JL, etc. If you have a brand you like odds are they make a good sub too. State your budget, enclosure volume you can fit, if you like vented or sealed if it matters, type of music and range of power you plan on....its easier to narrow down what subs do that best. Sure the more you spend the more features and better materials you will get usually. It really is a tight market, if one sub in a price range is lacking its usually because it does something else a little better....in subs from well known makers.

Actually the best way I know is to read the tests/reviews here on particular subs, and my experience with them if I have any. I took a risk on the cheap pyles in my car, but I had a specific setup many people don't run and I got lucky it actually worked well on the first try. The cheaper you go the lower the odds of that with an unknown.

I look at specific specs of a sub, but I don't place them that high because most of them are pretty good when you are talking well known subs. Its maybe more important to me with a SQ setup. SPL/loud you need to look more at durability and xmax, powerhandling, reputation among users, etc. Specs would certainly be more important for a competition system or serious audiophile. But if a sub is not that good in its range, people here know it, it just does not happen much with reputable makers. But when I say specs I usually look more for actual testing and comparisons, not just what the manufacturer's marketing team says. I prefer results not bs.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hours and hours of searching the web.
Read everything you can find.
Keep in mind budget and end result you desire.
Eventually you will find a crossing of what you need at a price you can live with.
Start here: DIYMA.com:)
Car Subwoofer Reviews - Car Audio and Electronics
Do not forget
> Your amp: What ohm load do you need - how much power do you have to feed it - etc.
> Space available

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
What may make a subwoofer good for one person, may not make it good for another person. Even for a daily driver, there are dozens of daily driver subs that we could recommend that would all sound different and may not all meet your preference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts