DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What makes the acoustic wave or whatever it is made by subwoofers/speakers seem louder?

Is the sound wave bigger or something?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
More Amplitude/Pressure.

Larger on the Y axis :D
exactly. most people put 200 watts on their entire front stage and then slap 1500W on the subs. more SPL = more louder :D

and yes, the wavelengths are longer as they get lower. they get stupid long as really low freq. 20hz is about 56 ft across! :eek:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The waves must start out small? Can they really go from nonexistence to 56 ft. long in an instant?

I don't even really understand what wave length is. Say this is a sub "<" and this is a wave ")". Is it like this <)))))))))))))))))))) ? What parts would be the wave length here? I'm thinking it is the height of the ")" or the y axis

Is there width?

·
Registered
5 Posts
wavelength would be the distance between any 2 similar points between the waves. the distance between the start of one wave to the start of the next for example

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when the waves start though, from a subwoofer, say a 10", does the wave length start out at 10" and then progressively get larger to 56 feet if it were a 20hz wave/frequency?

·
Registered
5 Posts
no, i think you aren't visualizing this correctly. if you are hovering above a pond and drop a stone, it makes waves. however, waves aren't studied from that angle. we look at waves from the side, so that they look like rolling hills which are cut in half. the wavelength is the distance from one peak to the next and the amplitude is the height of the hill. read that wikipedia link and the links to any terms mentioned which you don't understand, that should help.

·
Registered
510 Posts
when the waves start though, from a subwoofer, say a 10", does the wave length start out at 10" and then progressively get larger to 56 feet if it were a 20hz wave/frequency?
20hz into a sub will produce a 56 foot wavelength, or part thereof, from the moment the signal is applied.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The wave doesnt start out as any size really. The wave radiates outward in all directions simultaneously.

I will try and answer your question in a simplified way. This is not a complete answer but should help you understand more.

When the subwoofer finishes creating the full wave form ( 1 full cycle or something like this > ~ ) if it were in free space the start of the sine wave would have travelled 56 feet total in any given direction.

How much pressure is being radiated would be the SPL that it is producing.

Eric

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
The wave doesnt start out as any size really. The wave radiates outward in all directions simultaneously.

I will try and answer your question in a simplified way. This is not a complete answer but should help you understand more.

When the subwoofer finishes creating the full wave form ( 1 full cycle or something like this > ~ ) if it were in free space the start of the sine wave would have travelled 56 feet total in any given direction.

How much pressure is being radiated would be the SPL that it is producing.

Eric
I typed something, realized that it was WAY over the level of where we are at now......

So I'm leaving this here as an edit

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, so do the waves produced by the subwoofer run away from the subwoofer in all directions?

Is it like a gun shooting a bullet or a stone being dropped in the water?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
well now you are getting into acoustics. lower freqs are "less" directional, but they do still have a direction.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or are you guys telling me this wave literally goes everywhere at once? And i should forget about the subwoofer propelling it any sort of direction? Is that possible doesn't the wave have to start at some point and travel?

Right now im visualizing this wave as an explosion basically. But I don't see how it could travel in every direction if the subwoofer is moving in one direction and the backside of the subwoofer is covered by a box.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts