DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my Helix DSP.3 and have rough crossover setup and time alignment set, I am ready to start playing with tuning and see where I can get with the EQ right now just tuning by ear as I hear things in the music that sound like they need tweaked. I would like to take it to the next level and see Where I can get with a RTA/REW and need a recommendation for a mic I am guessing a USB mic is preferred so I can plug directly in to a laptop?

and Yes I am a DSP Newb apologies if this question has been asked already I did search around a bit and didn't find much

·
Registered
70 Posts
This type of thread comes up a lot with a lot of the same recommendations which is great. However it got me wondering, are there Mic's that should be avoided??

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm not sure what cross-spectrum trying to get at, but the mic comes calibrated from MiniDSP. It's literally on the product description page. You enter your serial # and then you can download the calibration files specific to that microphone. I guess for $31 more, you get the convenience of them downloading the files for you and placing them on a USB Stick? :LOL: Maybe their claim is they use a better calibration process? But us using these in home and car environment would have no benefit from it.

Or you can get the new kid on the block, the UMIK-2

·
Registered
19,090 Posts
After going through my 7th or so minidsp/dayton mic, I finally bit the bullet and got an Earthworks M23. The others will be fine if you don't tune too much and keep it stored where it's not too hot, not too cold, and treat it as if its an egg lol

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Wow - I use my UMIK-1 constantly as I continue to learn and experiment - and I definitely do NOT handle it with kid gloves! :) It never leaves my car and is either sitting on my passenger seat or the rear passenger seat floor. :) Haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I do get different measurements depending on the temperature outside (mainly in 9kzh+ area), but I honestly figured that was the speakers themselves actually acting differently based on temperatures - not the MIC itself. I've learned to try to take measurements when the car interior is at a "normal" temperature (~60F-70F). If I do take measurements outside that temperature range, I just know that the upper freqs can be off a little.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m wondering if the audio frog mic and kit is worth it over the $79 u-mic. I’m only going to be tuning my personal car and that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I’m wondering if the audio frog mic and kit is worth it over the $79 u-mic. I’m only going to be tuning my personal car and that’s it.
You have to ask yourself is it worth $120 more to get a strap-on, nylon carrying case, and some extra cable?

·
Registered
19,090 Posts

Its not. Even when I was a dealer for them I didn't recommend them. A bit overpriced for what you are getting.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My research was pointing to minidsp umik-1 also... great value and lots of positive feedback.

In my case, I had a friend sell me his used audio frog UMI for less instead.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I bought the UM-1. Everything you need is in the kit. Including the fantastic test CD.
Between this kit and the great instructions Andy has put up on how to use this setup along with a very extensive tutorial on how to set up REW; I definitely feel that I got my money’s worth.

These guys in here are very experienced and have come to their own conclusions based on that. To someone like myself that hasn’t done this sort of tuning before, this kit (and the info that comes with) was a godsend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts