DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am going threee way active in my next setup, I've got my midrange and tweeters picked, Rainbow W 165 and CAL 26... but now I need to pick out a pair of mid bass drivers. I've been looking around on Madisound and Speakercity... I was decided on the Vifa Premium Line, but I recently heard those are only suited for ported appliations. Does anybody know if this is true and wether or not I could run them IB? A ported box mounted to the back side of my door panel doesn't seem too plausible. I was then thinking the Vifa MG line... can those run IB? Or maybe some Morels.

So, I'm looking for a good 6-8" midbass driver that will go well with my Rainbows. Only restricting thing is they have to be 4 ohms... unless someone can recomend a cheap and easy way to get decent power at 8 ohms.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the 4 or 8 ohm thing as I was sceptical at first but it really doesnt make much of a difference unless you are talking about a LOT of power.

If you are looking for strict midbass I really like peerless drivers as well as vifa but not sure if the vifas work well in IB or not.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Please do not misunderstand the 4 ohm vs. 8 ohm concept. The 8 ohm will play just as loud with the amp doing "half" the work. Amp temps will be down as a result.

With that said you could always buy my Adire Extremis 6.8's. Yes they are 8 ohm, but IMO they are fantastic in a 3-way front stage. LOTS of mid bass to be had. Read the test results in the speaker section.

...looks like IceWall beat me by a couple of seconds. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, if I have about 100 watts at 4 ohms, it'll still be enough power at 8 ohms? Anybody care to explain how that works? But that is good news.

I always hear good things about the Extremises, I will probably look around for a pair... and I'll go back to searching through Madisound for some good mid basses.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
eD eu-700 might suit you

·
Registered
524 Posts
Perpetual Burn said:
I always hear good things about the Extremises, I will probably look around for a pair... and I'll go back to searching through Madisound for some good mid basses.

I could sell you mine. Please PM me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I've gotten more help in this thread than any other thread I've started on a car audio forum... I love this place.

Jason, thank you for the link... or should I thank np? :p

Az, I was thinking about the eu-700, but I don't hear very good reviews on them in a true midbass setup... everyone on ICIX is using them as subwoofers. So, I figured I'd look for a woofer that is truly made to play mid bass.

Finley, I'll PM you in a bit... hopefully we can make a deal.

Thanks for all the help/advice... keep it coming.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The Extremis are very inefficient drivers... i'm not sure 50w would be enough... i guess it would depend on your listening levels...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, guys, I've been looking around some more... and I think I'm gonna go with some Morel MW166s. They are 4 ohms, so ya think they will do well IB off 100 watts? I'm going with 6.5" mid basses so I can run them in the factory location, then I'm gonna build pods for the mid range... and I'm gonna have to ditch the Rainbow mids to get some 4.5" mid range drivers. Any thoughts on the Morels or what mid ranges I should get?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I am currently running a pair of SEAS CA18's in my doors as midbass drivers. I've used the eD 700's - not nearly the midbass driver as the SEAS CA18's. The eD 700's work better as subs. Don't worry about the 8 ohm thing. If you can fit them in your doors, I would highly recommend the SEAS CA18's and I've used a lot of midbass drivers in my doors.

And I agree with you. DIY Mobile Audio is THE best 12V audio forum. There are really some great, knowledgeable people on this forum without all the flames and misinformation.

Oh, yeah. I've used the Adire Extremis, too, and I prefer the SEAS CA18's!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Definitely go for the Seas CA18 over the Morels...
Even the Dayton RS180 are a better option over the Morels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sure like the price of the CA18s... I think the RS180s would be too deep. I'm pretty sure I could get the CA18s in my doors. Any other recomendations... what about mid range? I've been wanting to hear some Lotuses for awhile, I was thinking about getting a pair of the 4.5" mid ranges.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
There's a very good reason why the Seas CA18RNX/P and LPG 25nfa get mentioned so much... they're cheap, and really perform. Sure there's alot of other good options, but for the first timer I just wouldn't recommend anything else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, just ordered a pair of CA18RNX/Ps... and since they're going in the doors, I can swap them out easily down the road if I don't like them.

But now I gotta pick a mid range... something to go with my CA18s and CALs and it's gotta be a good decision since I'm fiberglassing them in pods and don't want to have to redo it anytime soon. 4.5" maximum. I was looking at those Utopias on SpeakerCity... anybody know anything about those? They aren't all that expensive... or I could go with the Lotuses, but that's a lot of ched for a pair of midranges.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, np, I liked the review on the 4" Exclusives... think if I have about 75 watts at 4 ohms, that'll be enough to power them for daily listening? I think I'm gonna go sealed... could they play down 250hz comfortably? I saw people saying 300 would be about the lowest... but the frequency response graph looked good down to 250.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts