DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i'd like to say this is my first thread here. been lurking for about a month now and i absolutely love this site. a wealth of info here.

anyways i've been wanting to switch my rainbow SLC mids out and I was wondering what would be a good match with the lpg's. i remind you that i have a mounting depth of NO MORE than ~75mm, which is less than 3 inches so the seas CA18RNX and such are out of the question since they are ~3.1 inches in mounting depth. Since my lpg's are crossed at 3.15khz @ 24db slope i was wanting a mid that will play nicely up to 3khz. I was thinking of either getting the seas lotus performance mids, the seas CA18RLY, or the RS180(debucked) since all have a mounting depth of less than 75mm. any reason not to get either these three? or any other suggestions? oh budget is around $150 or so. thanks.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ well i would gladly use those but from npdang's thread the mounting depth on those are 83mm, which is too big in my case.

·
Registered
655 Posts
alphakenny1 said:
^ well i would gladly use those but from npdang's thread the mounting depth on those are 83mm, which is too big in my case.
if all you want is a mid, then you can go with something smaller and shorter.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I'd go with the CA18RLY. Excellent choice for the lpg's. You could also try one of the Dynaudio mids, which I think would work very well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
go with the rs180s I have a pair along with the lpgs,and the debucking is simple,tap with a small hammer arond the bottom and right above the bottom edge until you hear a difference in sound when you hit it...there a sticky on ca.com I believe that shows you where to hit and how hard...btw those rs180s are well put together nice build

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
npdang said:
I'd go with the CA18RLY. Excellent choice for the lpg's. You could also try one of the Dynaudio mids, which I think would work very well.
How would the CA18RLY compare to the CA18RNX? obviously less bass output but how is the bass and midrange on the RLY? thx.

jrouter: how does the combo sound with the rs180 and the lpg's? what are your xover pts/slopes? plenty of bass? midrange? thx.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I use the LPG 25nfa's, SEAS CA18's, and the Aura NS4's for the mids. I really like the Aura NS4's. This is easily the best 3-way setup I've ever used.

·
Registered
283 Posts
alphakenny1 said:
How would the CA18RLY compare to the CA18RNX? obviously less bass output but how is the bass and midrange on the RLY? thx.

jrouter: how does the combo sound with the rs180 and the lpg's? what are your xover pts/slopes? plenty of bass? midrange? thx.
24dB slopes on all my speakers and as far as the combo goes they sound good,i`m still tweaking the x-over points right now my tweets points are 3.2khz, mids is 50hz-2.5khz,....and my subs are crossed over at 45hz

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SteveLPfreak said:
I use the LPG 25nfa's, SEAS CA18's, and the Aura NS4's for the mids. I really like the Aura NS4's. This is easily the best 3-way setup I've ever used.
you used the RLYs? if so, how was the bass?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I use the RNX's. Fantastic midbass drivers.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have a pair of Seas P17REX drivers that I might be letting go. They have a depth of 71.5mm and they are by far the best 6.5" midbass drivers that I have ever heard. I am really impressed at how well they blend with my subwoofer.

I have them running through my Diamond Hex passive crossovers paired with the LPG 25 tweeters that came with the set. Power is being supplied via my Planet Audio TT4200 (100 watts per side). Needless to say I need to start dampening my entire front stage (window panels, dash, rear view mirror).

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
npdang said:
NP, which Dyn mid are you referring to? The mw160gt by chance? If so, what point should the Dyn be crossed at for the low pass end?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
And why dont more people suggest the Peerless csc-x driver as a match for the LPGs? They mate up pretty damn well and several members on here have great success with that combo. Its a 6.5" driver thats shallow and costs much less than the Seas drivers for sure...

I am using that combo in my wife's ride as soon as I can get a chance to install it all...sitting in the closet right now...

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I thought those were deeper than the Seas/Exclusives?

In any case, I've found people would rather pay a little more for the improved bass and midrange performance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts