DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got plenty of room for a good size midbass(up to 10" if i wanted) so I wanted to take advantage of that. Mounting depth is not really an issue as I'll have up to 4.5".

The doors will of course be heavilly deadened and closed cell foam will be used.

I plan on using Fountek NE0CD3's In custom kickpanels being powered off a PPI A100.2

If I was to get an IDQ8 or Peerless XLS 8" what would be a suitable midrange to use? Any other rec's on serious midbass drivers?

[/url]

·
Registered
63 Posts
They do not make the IDQ8 anymore.. I ran into this problem myself. I was going to use the ID8 v.3 but found out they were not usable for upper midbass lower midrange frequencies so after some research and recommendations I purchased a set of Fountek Neopro 5i's (to replace a set of Veritas Horns I was going to use) along with the Peerless XLS 8's from npdang. So I guess I am suggesting the Peerless for ya.
I think if you could afford it the Seas W15 5" would be a great midrange to use in that setup.
It is considered one of the best midranges available.
email npdang and I am sure he can hook you up.
You lucky bast**d! I wish my intall was going to be that easy- :cry:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
After playing with this one, it's one of my absolute favorite drivers.

http://www.bcspeakers.com/index.php?sez=1&categoria=2&id_descrizione=44&prodotto=53&id_descrizione_prod=51

It's a lot more expensive than the XLS8 ($135ish in the USA) and offers less LF output due to having ~2/3 the xmax. However, it also plays a lot higher cleanly and has a rising on-axis response profile that's ideal for door use. Look at it this way: right now the XLS8 is one of the very best 8" midbasses you can buy, while the B&C 8NDL81 is one of the very best midwoofers currently on the market. With 8NDL81 you could skip the midrange (and all of the nasty coherence issues that come with getting disparate point-sources to sum properly in a small space) and simply run a two-way setup.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
ATC sm75s.... Only a cool $1400/pr :)

Some great suggestions above though. For someone looking for a warmer, velvety type midrange quality the vifa PL11 is a great affordable choice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ds-21 I had looked at that driver also, I think it may come down to musical taste, as I dont think it would provide the impact of the Peerless given both of them were in an optimized enclosure(or properly sealed door) I think you can match up a 3way set very well if given the right equipment to support it hmm hmm (dcx 2496) but it is an old debate - 3way or 2 way that both have benefits.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, that I am going with the DCX2496.

Now let's say that I could get an IDQ8, would that be a better choice than the Peerless XLS8?

Is there something out there with more impact and accuracy than the IDQ8?

I also forgot to mention that I'll be using two IDMAX12's seeing about 800 watts rms each if that makes any difference.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, that I am going with the DCX2496.

Now let's say that I could get an IDQ8, would that be a better choice than the Peerless XLS8?

Is there something out there with more impact and accuracy than the IDQ8?

I also forgot to mention that I'll be using two IDMAX12's seeing about 800 watts rms each if that makes any difference.
Does the IDQ 8" have 12mm+ 1 way xmax? Does it have a truncated frame for easier mounting, ventilation under the spider for cooling and reduced comperssion, a non-resonant cast metal frame, or an aluminum shorting ring in the motor to reduce distortion? Is it significantly cheaper than the Peerless at $63 each?

As far as 8" mid/bass drivers go it's the finest I've seen at any price.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
As someone who does not sell either one, my opinion is that it's not even close. As NPdang pointed out, the XLS8 is a better driver in EVERY way. The only thing that might be of interest instead is the Peerless SLS8, which has some tradeoffs (stamped basket, excursion) but works better without EQ in infinite baffle type setups and costs less.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
aaron said:
Ds-21 I had looked at that driver also, I think it may come down to musical taste, as I dont think it would provide the impact of the Peerless given both of them were in an optimized enclosure(or properly sealed door)
That depends. If it's just being used as a midbass, i.e. with subs supporting it, my hunch would be that the B&C driver would be even snappier and blend better with the ribbons, though undoubtedly both are excellent drivers. After all, the XLS8 is designed for use in small domestic subwoofers, while the 8NDL81 is designed more for uses like studio monitoring. Obviously, if those ARE the subs then the XLS8 will have significantly greater output than the 8NDL81.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK cool, sounds like the 8" XLS is the way to go. I do like the price too :D

What kind of power should I be looking for for this driver? I want to get all PPI Art series amps, how would the A600.2 work out?

Now as far as midrange drivers go, which will work best with the xls8 and the neoCD3? Say in a sealed, custom kickpanel that's also going to house the ribbon.

If the Vifa p11 will work in this setup then that sounds good.

Just want to make sure I'm on the right path here :shock:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cam2 sounds like we are on similiar paths- I have 2 Xtant 301a's(300watt monoblocks) waiting for the Peerless XLS 8's. I think that PPI setup will work great also. If you do get it I would enjoy hearing your feedback on the Vifa's.

·
Registered
415 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
I've got plenty of room for a good size midbass(up to 10" if i wanted) so I wanted to take advantage of that. Mounting depth is not really an issue as I'll have up to 4.5".
are you sure youre taking in account for window clearance (when its down)???

^just checking..ive seen it done before...

with your doors very well dampened, you should get very good midbass out of a 7" but how about an Seas Excel W22EX-001 for an 8" midwoofer..? it goes up to about 2khz...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aaron said:
Cam2 sounds like we are on similiar paths- I have 2 Xtant 301a's(300watt monoblocks) waiting for the Peerless XLS 8's. I think that PPI setup will work great also. If you do get it I would enjoy hearing your feedback on the Vifa's.
So what midrange are you going with? Or are you going two way?

·
Registered
63 Posts
http://ldsg.snippets.org/vendors/atc.php3

ATC SM75 150S. I knew of ATC moniters but I didnt think about using the mid untill Npgang jokingly suggested it. Some of its response characteristics are at the link above.
I think about the only other driver I can think of that MIGHT be better would be the TAD 4002-4 (cant remember the model # off the top of my head.) however there is NO way I would be able to utilize it properly in my Acura ----translation---I'm not taking my dash apart and rebuilding it to fit those in.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
Now as far as midrange drivers go, which will work best with the xls8 and the neoCD3? Say in a sealed, custom kickpanel that's also going to house the ribbon.
While my strong preference would be a 2-way with the B&C 8" midwoofer I mentioned above - or a Peerless HDS205 - over any 3-way front stage, if you must go 3-way up front I would seriously consider the Vifa 10BGS (MG10 in the US I'm pretty sure) or Peerless HDS134 if you can fit a slightly larger driver. That Vifa is almost unknown in the US, but it's a REALLY good little widebander/midrange, probably my second favorite driver in its size class. (My favorite is the no-longer-made Audax HM100Z0, although I liked its 130mm cousin even better.)

Another driver that's maybe getting long in the tooth but is capable of extremely "quick" performance that would go well with ribbons is the Vifa M10 (http://www.d-s-t.com/link/vifa/data/m10md-39-08a.htm). I like it a lot better than the PL11. One man's "velvety" is another's "dark and muddy", perhaps. Actually, my impression of the Vifa PL's in general is that they're no better than their classic line equivalents. The exception is the PL27 mostly because the PL27-45 IS the pre~1999 D27TG-45.

·
Registered
684 Posts
wow. consider yourself lucky that you have doors that are that accommodating. Mine are far the opposite.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts