DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry still dont know what all the various specs are on drivers..

I am looking for something to run IB with on rear deck ...

what do I need to look at when looking at candidates ?

·
Registered
587 Posts
You can find much more detail in the archives, but you want drivers that have large surface area and excursion, a qts on the higher side, such that with an equivalent enclosure size, for example, trunk size, the Q ends up around 0.7. Typically drivers in the 0.45-0.6 range work out for typical trunk cars. Also, very low Fs (~20 Hz) is preferable in most cases. There are exceptions of course, and better explanations, but look at the AE SPB15, as it was specifically designed for car IB use. Note what characteristics it has and this will give you an idea of how manufacturers attack the car IB scenario.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can find much more detail in the archives, but you want drivers that have large surface area and excursion, a qts on the higher side, such that with an equivalent enclosure size, for example, trunk size, the Q ends up around 0.7. Typically drivers in the 0.45-0.6 range work out for typical trunk cars. Also, very low Fs (~20 Hz) is preferable in most cases. There are exceptions of course, and better explanations, but look at the AE SPB15, as it was specifically designed for car IB use. Note what characteristics it has and this will give you an idea of how manufacturers attack the car IB scenario.

thank you. that is the info I was needing.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
To add to that, use the largest that you can fit. The parameters are usually better suited to IB and they will give a flatter frequency response with better SQ.

Most say you want to end up with a total Q of .7. I personally prefer a lower Q. Honestly I don't think it's the most important factor anyway. Sometimes you can have a sub with perfect "IB" specs and it won't work. The Tempest X I tried looked great on paper but was all low end with nothing from 50hz and above and was a little on the "sloppy" side. The 12W6 was amazing in IB and I've heard very good things about the W7. Obviously IB15s and the IDQ15v2 work really well. The Flatlyne 15" is another great IB sub. They play the really low stuff with so little power that you'll want lots of displacement. Not because they need more displacement for the same SPL as a sealed box but because it's so easy to get the low end out of them.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Am needing 8 inch drivers. So bigger is out of question ATM

·
Registered
587 Posts
For 8s I would suggest something along the lines of a Dayton HF8 or Arc8. Depending on your expectations, this available surface area for IB may leave you wanting more.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I think excursion would be your friend here. The low end isn't going to be any worse than a pair of 8s sealed but the low end is so easy to achieve IB that it's easy to hit the limits of the sub. The 8W7 has a lot of excursion. We know the 13W7 works well in IB. Doesn't mean the 8 will but I would give it just as good of a chance as anything else.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With all the restrictions I may go with small sealed enclosures. I am just looking at options.

I don't want to modify the car but small sealed enclosure will be easy I think.

Would also open up my driver choices.

Seems like most driversdesigned for IB cost more than comparable sealed driver.

Or they are real cheap and not very durable.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I wouldn't base durability on cost. My IB15s were cheap and I have never heard of a failure. The Pyle 15s were $40 and so far no failures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts