DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most 3-way outboard crossovers just have a pair of high-passed outputs and a low-passed outputs for the sub. Some actually have band-passed mid channels. Most amps have either LPF or HPF but usually not band-passed filters. Ideally you would think every amp would just have a damned band-passed filter. Does that make too much sense?

I want to try a 3-way setup PLUS subwoofer. What options are out there that will not break the bank? Being a cheep-azz I always keep thinking of just doing passive crossovers. I know everyone says the best route is to go all active. I mean just in terms of midbasses I have seen crossovers with band-pass filters that will allow for a low HPF, but usually the LPF is usually too high.

Am I just looking in all the wrong places?

Tempe

·
Registered
989 Posts
^Alpine PXA-H701 Processor.

I'm going to be using a Clarion DRZ-9255. Another option is a Pioneer P9 combo.

All the above aren't cheap.

Audiocontrol has a few options too.

You can also use an external 3 way crossover and use the sub preout on your headunit to control the sub.

Some people are also using a Behringer DJ crossover/EQ for their setup.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Using the Alpine H700 aswell.
But on a budget I´d go for the Alpine 9853 + a passive between tweet and mid. Would give you active control where it matters (with time alignment) and allow for a simple x-over in the top end.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Rbsarve said:
on a budget I´d go for the Alpine 9853
FYI: Being a good idea, you'd want the 9813, 9815, 9833, 9835, or 9855.

Unfortunately, the 9853 was downgraded. It now only has 2v pre-outs and 2 regulated 1-bit DACs versus those others listed having 4v pre-outs and 6 regulated 1-bit DACs.

All of these units have 6ch time alignment, crossovers, 5-band PEQ, etc.

The 9815 is generally $200 and the 9835 is being seen around $300 now.

I've thought about this setup as well with my 9815.

If the tweeters and midrange are not together, then you'd use them on High and Mid outputs to their amps using the head unit Xovers. Then with HU Xover, LP the Low output for the midbass amp if it has pass-thru RCA out to the sub amp. Using amp Xovers, HP on midbass amp, then LP on sub amp.

This leaves you time alignment for the tweeters and midrange, leaving the midbass and sub as is.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Tried the 9815 and I definitly prefer the 9853 over that unit. Actually of the ones listed the 9833 is probably best value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts