DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off im happy to say this is my first post ive been on termpro forum since 2001 almost everyday but the only thing it lacks is help in diy speakers.

anyway heres what im planning.

i want to fix my modded linear power dpsq50 and use that for front range.
i will be using 5 INCH peerless ppb mids because i liked my old peerless csx for their lowend extension and laid back sound. they will be crossed over at 12db per octave ONLY up to 2khz max.

now on to the ribbons. im building my own 3rd order crossover for the ribbon but which to go with. my main choice is the raven r1 but all i have read so far on them is they are great.... soooo what would u choose? aurum's, fountek, lcy 130, raven r1?????? the lower the xover point the better BUT im not willing to take away from their detail if all they have is a lower xover point.

btw i drive a 1973 chevy c30 crew cab, so i have quite a bit of room by my feet especailly on the passenger side. my only limitation is if the floor e-brake gets in my way.

my main goal is to put in a cd and never want to leave the truck again. :lol:

confused as usual at all the amazing choices.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
You may want to search through the forum a bit there should be a thread or two covering this topic already.

The larger ribbons will handle more power, and lower crossover point. LCY is also a good option, since it has wider vertical dispersion yet can handle a lower crossover point. 2khz is doable with a 4th order filter. From Aurum cantus you would need at least a g3si to go to 2khz. Fountek jp2.0 can also go to 2khz, and would be the most affordable option.

·
Registered
415 Posts
:D IceWaLL, i remember you from when i started getting back into car audio. you gave me some advice on subwoofers.. Thanks!

..but now i guess its my turn! :wink:

IceWaLL said:
my main goal is to put in a cd and never want to leave the truck again. :lol:

confused as usual at all the amazing choices.
basically, my friend and i both have our LCY ribbons installed.. and pretty much both admit to spending a little extra time in the car after coming home from anywhere..

I have some Apogee Centaurus Minor's mini towers (26" ribbons) in my home right now but prefer to spend time in the car..

I havent played with many ribbons, and i havent heard many either.. but im very happy with LCY 130's and i havent met a person whos auditioned my car and not liked it.

(shhh..even a big horn guy from the ID IASCA show this weekend said he liked them.. :wink: )

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice

nice to see you again, and yes im still there every day or night.

i think im gonna go with you and use the lcy's due to their vertical dispersion. i also dont feel like tuning for hours only to have someone taller then me get in the truck and not like the sound. plus im liking their small(er) size.

thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 question....

how much power do they need? (150!!!???)

cuz i got about 35-45 watts to give em.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Ribbons don't need very much power, I've never used them before but everywhere i've read that just a few quality watts will get them to very loud levels because most of them have such a high sensativity. So i'd really say you would be using a low percentage of that power you have on tap, but extra power is always good for headroom.

·
Registered
415 Posts
IceWaLL said:
cuz i got about 35-45 watts to give em.
thats exactly how much i got for mine, but i dont think im using all of it...

^thats how much i got for my Seas L18RNX 7" (8-ohm) midbasses and they pound really damn good too!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so my setup for fronts will be very similar to yours... only the difference is you have them and i dont. LOL

i gotta keep the truck running first, then ill start on the stereo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.