DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pdxf4 and now that my rear deck alpine spr 60's don't work, (long story) I am just running the alpine R components on channel 1 and 2. Now that I have the weekend to work on my system, I'm wondering what I should even do. The components are 110rms so bridging would be 200watts to each side. Should I do that and turn the gain way down, would it be worth saving for good midrange speakers for the rear? Or maybe some bomb tweeters I can run to their own channels? What is my best move? Screw my ruined speakers, I don't like knowing half my amp is being wasted!! Advice please!!!

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
I'd bridge until I could get replacement rears, and then go back to 4 channel mode.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the reason to bridge be to take some load off my amp? The speakers sound quality wouldn't improve since they only are 110rms right?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Typically extra power won't hurt the components. It may help them because if you crank the tunes and the non bridged amp goes into clipping because it's being pushed too hard on dynamic (loud) passes of the song it may dump major wattage to the components, more than the amp rating. This kills speakers. You can typically tell something isn't sounding right before you get to this point though, harsh sounding (if your sober) :)

Now if the amp is bridged to the same speakers at the same listening level the amp won't clip because it has power reserves so it will stay more composed on the loud passes.

If you don't listen very loud it won't make a difference if the amp is bridged or not. HTH.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't figure out how to even
Bridge a pdx. Is it 1 neg to 2 pos 3neg to 4 pos? Also how are the rcas connected to the head unit and it has gain/ crossover settings for front and rear, not left and right...I'm a little confused on this one!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Split left side rca to ch 1 and 2 on the amp and right side to 3 and 4. Then left speaker to pos on ch 1 and neg on ch 2. Repeat for right side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts