DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a box for an Elemental Designs SQ10, 10" subwoofer.

Sub: Elemental Designs

The box will be going under the hatch mat in my VW GTI. The ideal cubic foot is .3.

I've got about 5" for max height of the box to play with. Minus an 1.5" for the two layers of MDF, I've got 3.5" of interior box height.

The mounting depth of the SQ10 is 3". Will .5" below this sub be sufficient? If it's too small, I was thinking I could possibly, build the bottom of the box out of 1/2" MDF instead of 3/4" to give me an additional 1/4" of space if it would help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Unless you're flush-mounting the sub, the front mdf panel won't affect mounting depth (the sub mounts to the front panel and passes through it). Only the rear panel's thickness needs to be taken into account. But then you've got to consider how much the front of the sub sticks out from the box (0.4" according to the website) so that it won't hit the hatch's false floor. 0.5" should be enough clearance for the pole vent, though some companies recommend 0.75" (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, in case I'm epic fail on this whole thing). I wouldn't bother with 1/2" mdf, 5/8" mdf is the bare minimum I'd use for a sub box.

Reactions: SUBSONIC_WARFARE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts