DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. I dumped my girl a few months ago and now I need a body massage. What subs do I need?

I looking to upgrade my bass. Ive just got a planet audio ac4000.1d and installed it. Sure took my cracked little sony xplod sub to another level, but I want more.

I'm looking at getting a couple of planet audio px12d. Gonna toss them in a sealed box for deep hard hitting bass. They are supposed to go down to 12hz.

I don't want to spend more than 125 on the subs. And prefer a min of 20hz or less

I mostlylisten do dubstep and rock. I want quality and volume.

·
Registered
11,999 Posts
who cares is a sub can respond to 12hz or not. there is no music down there anyway and you wont be able to realistically reproduce it anyway. stick to something that will produce bass in a region that is actually music.

if they cost less than $125, claim to play down to 12hz and handle the kinda power you have on tap. they are lying.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any suggestions then?

My Sony xplod claims 18hz, human threshold is 10hz, most adults at 20hz... At what point is it pointless?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
When you're dealing with junk, which you are (Sony Xplode, Planet Audio), the numbers generally are wrong.

Your budget is $125 per sub or for both?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Most music (even rap) dont go below 32hz. Now most classical music (real music in my opinion, like oldies) don't go below 80hz. Now that being said, I've notice with my sine wave generator that the most bass output is at 32hz and 78hz. Ofcourse 32hz if you want that shaking shit effect. The 78hz is just loud not shaking everything but painfully loud when compared to other low frequencies.

If you ever heard 10hz or 20hz or crap like that you probably wouldnt even like it or think of it as musical. So its pointless. I have my low pass at 90hz (sometimes I do tune it up to 100hz).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So under 32 is pointless - I like that shaking crap with audio. - otherwise it's just an earthquake and those scare me

MAybe 150 for subs

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
So under 32 is pointless - I like that shaking crap with audio. - otherwise it's just an earthquake and those scare me

MAybe 150 for subs
It also depends a lot on the enclosure. PWK (or Hexibase on youtube) can make some krazy enclosure that make small woofers like 6 and 8's sound like 12's or even 15's. But his design (blueprint) will cost you around 50bucks.

I've use a few subs out there but the one I was most amazed by (price and performance) was the Bazooka P-Miller 12", 7years ago you could pick one up on ebay for about 30bucks shipped. Those things lasted over 6 years of punishment.

So you dont have to spend 150 for subs, sometimes you can find a decent for less, especially on ebay. Theres a few Xtant subs for 100-200 that are brand new. I was lucky to pick up a 12" for 125.00.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Why does anyone care at all about the frequency response published by manufacturers? If you didn't know, FR usually means the longest range in the frequency response domain where SPL stays in +1/-1dB band at 1 watt of power. Give your speaker 2 watts, or 10 watts, and it probably will not be the same! (Actually who knows! What if the manufacturer is using a +4dB/-4dB band? They won't tell usually)

The only frequency response claims that I would trust are those that had been confirmed by independent 3rd party testing.

I will bet an organ that your amplifier does not provide the rated power or something is fishy there. This is cheaper per watt than my MB Quart ONX1.1500D which I am returning today.

I don't understand the need for these megawatts. A single 12 inch subwoofer, possibly in a ported box could drop low and play loud on 200-300watts of power. Within your price range, a good example is RE SRX12D2 (dual 2ohm). I haven't tried it in ported box, but in a sealed box, it will be very happy with about 1.2cu ft of air. 18mm of xmax. It will get loud on just about 300watts of RMS power. Fairly clean bass, that also drops low enough for most applications in a sealed box. This sub is highly underrated and overlooked by most. Put it into a vented enclosure and it should play loud and hit lows with authority. If you can fit a 15 inch version, you will get more of the same. If you can afford the SEX15D2, then it will be even better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I already did the math... Something bout 4k watt does add up with 3 40a fuses lol. But before the purchase, people used it to push 2 kicker 750w with ease. I don't expect to every try and use it's full power.

That re srx looks good, but I'd like another sub later if I only get 1 today. Incould run that thing in a 4 ohm set up then get another later.

Them Polk audio look good also, but I'm looking fort someing a little more substantial. Looking for atleast 3 times the volume my Sony 10 has.

What I really want that is way out of my budget, is my brothers sub that lays around doing nothing. Some 15/18inch eclipse ...'I should take it and just build a box and use it lol

I found 12s of them Polk audio for not much more. They are within my budget. I would go with a single what ever if you guys promise that when it hits my lug nuts will fall off lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
The absolute best subs for the money right now bar non are the jbl power series p1222 p1224 / p1022 p1024. At around $130 each "forget about it"... Better hurry tho there being phased out... Shame..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That srx looks pretty mean. It says it's 2 2ohm, that's 1ohm... They workfine in parallel for 4 ohms? Incase I want a Second later. I'm strongly considering it.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
That srx looks pretty mean. It says it's 2 2ohm, that's 1ohm... They workfine in parallel for 4 ohms? Incase I want a Second later. I'm strongly considering it.
If its dual 2-ohm and you wire it parallel you get 1-ohm, if series then you get 4-ohms.

Parallel will always cut down the impendance or resistance (whatever you wanna call it) while series raise it up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Derp my bad lol. Not enough coffee.

Basically, I want to stomp my brothers set up. More difficult than it sounds though...
He has 2 10xplods powered by an xplod amp like 300w rms. The hard part is where the subs are. They are in the back seat of his 1962 bug. Mine are in the trunk >.< lol

He claims they can blur his vision. I think he just needed glasses.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really considering a srx15... I'll make it fit, put it in a triangle facing up... But my question today, how much nicer is the sex15

I also see srx/sex15d2 and srx/sex15d4 - d4 new revision?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to save a little more and get the sex15d4. About $180 of eBay new.

Wait another 2 weeks, but I imagine it be worth it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts