DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm aquiring a system for my daughters car (Suzuki Forenza) and I need some input on a super efficient sub to place in the trunk. Thinking i need a 12" sub for the install. Who can lend a hand on some ideas. Budget is around $120 on the high side and I currently have an O/S Alpine 3522s which puts out 90 watts bridged thus the efficiency issue. Can be replaced however as a last resort. Oh, also, the rear seat has an opening in the middle which would allow some interaction between the trunk and cabin space.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Power is cheap now days. Class D power is very cheap. Have you thought about another amp.

If you have to use the power that you have, you're really going to need a vented box. The output most likely will be enough to fill in the low end.

Couple of suggestions

Tang Band 6 1/2 Sub in a vented box, tuned around 35 cycles

JBL GTO 8" vented box, tuned around 30 cycles

JL Audio W0 10", vented box

All would come in under $120 and help make the most use out of the 90 or so watts that have on tap.
You can pick up the JBL for less than $75

Also, if you can put your hands on a Sundance 8", that would fit the bill and budget too in a vented box.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to stick with the 3522s. It is a powerful little sucker! I was also thinking the vented box would be the route to go but failed to include that in the thread. Not sure an 8 is going to fit the bill for her taste in music loudness. I think a ten just might do as well. Great info and ideas

Keep em coming!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Probably one of the most sensitive subwoofers out there is Dayton Audio "DVC" series subwoofer. (what a splendid name). It was a clone of Adire Shiva which a long time ago was one of top SQ subs. You can probably get better SQ than this now days. However, it's efficiency is pretty incredible. I have modeled something like a dozen of 12 inch mass market subs in WinISD with the goal of finding out their efficiency in sealed box. (RE Audio SE/x, Infinity Kappa, IDQ, Alpine Type-R, etc). Most need about 80-100watts RMS to reach 103dB, outside of car. The Dayton DVC needs less than 40watt.

However, I still question having the constraint of having so little power.. it seems like amp is the weakest link.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably one of the most sensitive subwoofers out there is Dayton Audio "DVC" series subwoofer. (what a splendid name). It was a clone of Adire Shiva which a long time ago was one of top SQ subs. You can probably get better SQ than this now days. However, it's efficiency is pretty incredible. I have modeled something like a dozen of 12 inch mass market subs in WinISD with the goal of finding out their efficiency in sealed box. (RE Audio SE/x, Infinity Kappa, IDQ, Alpine Type-R, etc). Most need about 80-100watts RMS to reach 103dB, outside of car. The Dayton DVC needs less than 40watt.

However, I still question having the constraint of having so little power.. it seems like amp is the weakest link.
Ya, I am relizing the same thing on the amount of power. How available are these Dayton's you are speaking of?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts