DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in a kind of indesition here peoples:

i realy cant make up my mind on what to choose.
i can if i want buy an infinity kappa four for cheap. and i have bought an hertz mlk 165 from a friend thatr where suposed to go in another car..
my new car is an golf mk 5 stationwagon.

thanks in advanced..

ps im asking this instead of putting up a build thread without anny photos in it : P (btw where should i post my build thread?)

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there anny major diferences between theese brands? i am thinking of ditching that infinity amp and get an hdp4 instead.. have also not desided whether to go active or passive.. have also been looking at the HSK163 set from hertz, if im going with infinity i probably choose the kappa series i guess..(althought i havent fount a 3 way component set for that). if i go with polk i guess its going to be the auto db series.

thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
The HDP4 can be used to actively crossover a 2-way system. Read this: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/111005-hertz-hdp-amps.html

There are differences, but do they sound any different...I don't know. Certainly the HDP4 is very powerful at 150w x 4 (if this is honest spec.). I would not be scared to try any of them, but read reviews to help you make up your mind.

READ THIS: The amp and speakers do not have to be the same brand! There are no advantages for using only one brand.

A 3-way can be more difficult. It requires 2 additional channels of amplification, or a quasi-active setup. Just fabricating a mounting location can be difficult.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I suggest listening to all the speakers you are considering then making your mind AFTER auditioning them all. Just because the collective recommends a certain brand over another doesn't mean that YOU will like it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i totaly agree that sound is biased.. : ) and what others like dont nessesary aply to me. i have been behind the doorcards and had a look, there is prefabricated holes for a 3 way component set up in that car, also with "holes" in the doorcard.

ofcourse i realise it aint nessesary to use the same manufactur(er?) in the car and so on but i think it would be cool to do so.

channels: so if i get this right, when using this setup i will be using 2 channels on the 3-way and one for the 2-way component setup?

or can i run them passive? (still not shure what the difference is though : \)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Listening to them would help the decision making a lot easier and if u go by the other view then i would select the infinity

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have to do that on friday then it seems.. iv now started to read up on the different producers here, allthough those that wites abaout them are up in the sky for what they use so.... also there is more written information in here abaout hertz than polk or infinity as i found annyway on the Member Reviews & Product Comparisons.
wee i can soon put up my build thread : P with photos (btw whats best direct links or photos in thread?)

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
yeah i totaly agree that sound is biased.. : ) and what others like dont nessesary aply to me. i have been behind the doorcards and had a look, there is prefabricated holes for a 3 way component set up in that car, also with "holes" in the doorcard.

I'm sure someone has done this with the Golf Mk 5. Try looking in the build logs section.

ofcourse i realise it aint nessesary to use the same manufactur(er?) in the car and so on but i think it would be cool to do so.

That's fine if it makes you happy.

channels: so if i get this right, when using this setup i will be using 2 channels on the 3-way and one for the 2-way component setup?

2-way fully active need 4-channels of amplification. 3-way requires 6-channels. Or you can do a system using the passive crossovers for the mid/tweet and active for the midbass, therefore only needing 4-channels. Or you can just use them passive.

or can i run them passive? (still not shure what the difference is though : \)

Yes. Passive only requires 2-channels, but 4 is fine too.
Reply in red.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
great, thanks alot.

somone on an norwegian forum meant that the hsk`s tweeter sounded harsh is that somthing others would say as well?

i have been searchibng and reading but this place.. too mutch information.. and it dont help that i work abaout 12 hours a day then goes home to an 8 week old baby : P

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2 more questions

1: what 3 way component setup from hertz would match the mlk 165 set that i have,

2: how hard is it to modify a 2 way component set (if i buy another mlk 165 set) and get another 3" and an 3 way crossover?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I owned the Hertz MLK 165's and even though they had good midbass and great volume they were not pleasing to my ears. I also used Raamatt and ensolited the doors to make a good seal.

Many people like these MLK speakers but they are pricey. Since I prefer smoother sound, I run the Alpine SPX-17Pro's. Not as much midbass and not as loud, but very pleasing to my ears.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts