DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I have a chance to pic up some used Morel Ovation, MKII, and some CDM 88 speakers locally, all for a great price I believe. The bad is they dont come with any crossovers which sucks.

I would be running a Crossfire VR404 to some of these.
My questions are,
Can I run them straight off my amp using its xover and a cap for the tweeter?
Can I buy some random passive xovers like Focal, Alpine, Ect and run them?
Can I run an Eclipse 2101 with my amp to them?
Or an electronic xover?
Or your suggestion hear...

I am real tight on funds so I cant afford a processor, and am just trying to get a decent system on a students budget. If you need more info please just let me know. Any and all help would be great.
thank you
Brian

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply.
I wish I could, but I would have no idea how to do that unless you told me every step.

Other then building one, would any of the other idea's I had work? I am not in a hurry to do the install seeing that I havent even bought them yet. So I could save some money to buy somthing.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Second Order Passive Crossovers, 12 dB per Octave
I choose 2nd order passive as it is quite easy to construct.... Like LPF at 2000Hz, you need a 0.2mH coil and 4.7uf capacitor. For HPF, you will need the same pair of components, just capacitor first follow by coil... You may get the idea from the above link....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I pulled the trigger and got the Morel Dotech Ovation, MKII and the CDM-88 yesterday.
There is a set of Xtant XSC2 2-way and a set of Morel Hybrid Ovation II Crossovers with ADMW 3 Way Add On Cross Overs on Ebay. Will these work for my speakers?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The MX-22.4 xover say's its crossed over at 1800Hz, but the Ovation 6 uses the MX-20.4,5,6 xover and is crossed over at 3200Hz 6dB/octave.

To me this seems a bit off from a match or am I just reading the Morel Web site wrong?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't made any headway on making some xovers yet, but I found a great deal on a Eclipse cd5030 this week and just couldn't pass up the chance to get another Eclipse deck. It seems I should be able to scrap the xover deal and just use this deck with some caps on my tweets. Am I wrong? With this deck can I run my system active (IMO)=crossing the frequency over before it gets to my amp?
I would love to hear some feedback from you guys.
Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts