DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Atm i am running some focal 165VR speakers running off of a focal 2.75 (75rms @ 4ohm ...2ch) amp.

Now i have decided that i want to upgrade the fronts as i am not happy with the way they are sounding...i just cant get them to sound 'right'.
So i have purchased a eclipse amp XA4000 to go active with...going to sell the focal.

Now i have been looking at speakers and i am unsure as to what i should do. Shuld i save up and get a nice set of components? (say focal,dls,cdt)?
OR
Shuld i get some diy speakers...was looking at some SEAS speakers;
THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS - H1224-08 L18RNX/P
with these tweets:
THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS - H1397-04 27TAFNC/D

Now im not really sure so can you guys steer me into the right direction!!!
Also i want to keep it as 2way setup!

Thanx guys!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi all! Atm i am running some focal 165VR speakers running off of a focal 2.75 (75rms @ 4ohm ...2ch) amp.

Now i have decided that i want to upgrade the fronts as i am not happy with the way they are sounding...i just cant get them to sound 'right'.
So i have purchased a eclipse amp XA4000 to go active with...going to sell the focal.

Now i have been looking at speakers and i am unsure as to what i should do. Shuld i save up and get a nice set of components? (say focal,dls,cdt)?
OR
Shuld i get some diy speakers...was looking at some SEAS speakers;
THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS - H1224-08 L18RNX/P
with these tweets:
THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS - H1397-04 27TAFNC/D

Now im not really sure so can you guys steer me into the right direction!!!
Also i want to keep it as 2way setup!

Thanx guys!
That depends on what sounding 'right' means to you. It's all subjective, so start by detailing what you didn't like about the Focals or what you're looking for more of. Some might have experience with those particular speakers, but for the rest of us to be able to help, it's a good start.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well some things i dont like about the focals:

1) Vocals tend to get drowned out...
2) Midbass is hardly there...only 2mm xmax so not alot to play with...tend to bottom out easily.

I find that i am always changin my eq for diffrent types of music. (9887 by the way). I cant seem to get a sound that i am happy with...even with ppl helping me tune it (they know what they are doing he competes in sq).

Now i know that SQ is subjective but yeh...
not all thay happy with em nemore :p

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I can already tell you that L18 is about as unforgiving as it gets in a 2-way. I've run them and 1200hz is as high as I'd cross them because of the cone breakup. DON'T DO IT! That seas metal tweeter sounded like a "cheap tweeter" when I ran it and the 2 encounters I've had with the textile version while tuning I got the same feeling. What's your budget? As for drivers I'd recomend the hertz high energy mids are really nice. I've been told the hertz tweeters are really nice as well. Can you fit in a large format tweeter? My recent use and ownership of the usher tweeters have made me become fond of their buttery smooth sound. The scanspeak illuminator tweets are also really nice if you can afford them. If you can go on axis the vifa xt25's are nice from what people on here say and I'll have some personal time with a pair in the next couple weeks.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Can you mount the tweeters on axis? Or are you stuck with off axis mounting?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i can mount them in two places:

1) On the side mirror pods...
2) On the dash facing foreward.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Like I said I won't have my own opinion of these tweets until the end of the month but they have a strong following over here.
Vifa XT25SC90-04 Ring Radiator Tweeter from Madisound
As for mids my hertz recomendation stays. They do everything right when I auditioned them in an install.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm will have to let me know :D
yeh im thinkin the peerless...my mate has the 8" version...sounded good!!!

Well i gess the peerless may be a go...just the tweet now

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Check out the morel mdt12. It's a small format at a good price. I run the mdt29 in my truck with good results.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ah yeh...well i culd spend more on a tweet. I rekon the peerless mids wuld be like 250 AUD shipped...

so thats like another 250aud left over for tweets!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts