DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Phoenix Gold discontinued their older Elite component sets, now replaced by their Xenon line. Fortunately, PG is selling their discontinued stuff through the Phoenix Gold Direct online store through Ebay. I grabbed a component set while I could. Unfortunately, for some reason, they're not selling the tweeters with the set, just woofer and x-over. No more left?

Anywho, I asked the one who knew the most about PG Elite stuff over at CAF, and he suggested Morel's Pulse TW-1 tweeters. Since the Elites were apparently made by or in conjunction with Morel, it's seemingly fitting to use Morel tweeters.

However, these will add another $100 to my bottom line. I have a bang for the buck attitude, and I'm hoping for a more economical choice, and maybe something as good or even better than what came with the woofers to begin with.

I know tweeters like LPG's 25nfa are well liked here, and they seem to be priced a hair better than the Morels. I know there was mention of some dirt cheap less than $20 a unit tweeters that are very good too. I'm thinking I have a shot at getting as good or better than stock for little $$$...with your guys' help.

Also, I came across some buyer's guide, or at least a listing of speakers, amps, etc. in various audiophile levels: audiophile, high level, mid level, etc. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find this post again. Maybe somebody can point me to it again if I can't find it with some more searching. This is where I came across the LPG and other tweeters in the first place, at least mention of them.

The hard part with all of this is trying to pick a tweeter that will match the woofer's output, sensitivity and frequency range, as well as the x-over point. Picking out tweeters is very new to me, so I need some help.

·
Registered
415 Posts
id say SELL IT ALL!! ..because Morel kinda sux, IMHO - at least for the money..

^or sell the the xovers at least and go full active.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow...

what was this post about again?

Anywho...I ordered them, will have them Monday. Why would I want to sell the xover? As for yourself, I'd think you could simply e-mail PG and ask for a replacement. Active is of course an option. I'm not big enough into car audio to care so much about that stuff yet, just something to upgrade my stock speakers, a thin component set that doesn't suck. The PGs seem to fit the bill nicely. Unfortunately, they're not being sold with the tweeter that they originally came with.

I was suggested the Morel Pulse TW1 as the closest thing to what came with it stock. I can get them for $100 a pair.

Staying on the topic of this thread, I'm wondering if there are better/cheaper choices for a tweeter than the TW1, Morel or other brands? This is what I want to know from you guys. As well, the limitations to which tweeter to use will remain dependent on the xover and xover point(yes, I'm sure active would make things easier but not right now) AND will match the driver well(as well or better than what came with it stock or the TW1).

The second part to this thread was that I did come across a post maybe about a week ago when I was searching for whatever it was I was searching for that had a nice organized listing of speaker sets, individual speakers, amps, and whatever else it had and orginized it according to SQ level: audiophile, high end, mid level, low end, etc. It seemed like a pretty nice write up. Unfortunately, I can't find it again. I know it listed a few tweeters to look at in there. If anybody knows what I'm talking about, could you point me to the post again?

Could we stay on topic this time? :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
as I understand it, Morel made the TiElite for PG.
So when they (at PG) says that a Morel tweeter should work just fine with the TiElite filter, I for one would listen :)

Passive filters are (mostly) made for a specific speaker/speakers.
And when it comes to really hightech passive filters (as the TiElite filter is) You should use them instead of going active...that´s my opinion anyway...

Hmm, come to think of it, I believe that a sales rep for PG said to me that You MUST use the passive filter for the TiELite kit..!!!

Conclusion, I would by the Morel tweeter so that I could use the passive filter.
If You´re going active, then my tip would be to listen to a few different (brands) tweeter in an attempt to find one that suits Your "taste"..!!!

Good luck

Best wishes
Rutger

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the person that suggested the TW1 isn't from PG. However, over on CAF, he's considered the most knowledgable about them as well as one of the top few people on the forum.

I also e-mailed PG and asked them. They got back to me this morning and also mentioned the TW1s are the closest thing available to what origninally came with the Elites. They said they don't have the original tweeters available, but they apparently are planning on making a speaker set(s) in the future the use the same tweeter again...just not available now.

It certainly seems the TW1 is my tweeter of choice for this set.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I ran the PG Elites for almost a year and I hated the crossover. Anyone who tells you that you have to use the passive crossover has no idea what they're talking about or doesn't understand the multiple dynamic environments that each car and each install represent. My biggest fault with the crossover is not near enough padding on the tweeters. You put 200 - 300 watts into these things and the tweeters were way too bright and overpowering. Dropped the power down to 100 or so and the mids were underpowered, not near as dynamic as with the higher power ratings. This was with the tweets dash mounted. Down in kicks, it might work better but then you still have to deal with the lack of midbass from the 6.5's.

Anyways, the high pass was around 3khz, so most tweeters out there will be fine with it. Just pick a set that have had reviews results that fit your likes.

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
seems like you already made your choice in tweeters...

·
Registered
530 Posts
ive never heard of those tweeters 10K2 :eek: where can he find those? :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
dodgerblue said:
ive never heard of those tweeters 10K2 :eek: where can he find those? :)

i heard there were only 2 made.....limited edition....

;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
geeze derek, limited edition , they must have cost a sak load of money :D

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's like 6th graders trying to make dirty jokes. Ha ha.

I'm a bit new to this forum. Is that normal for 10K2HVN? ...or should we call a doctor or something :confused:

moving on...

Yep, I did make my decision. I grabbed up a pair of TW1s.

I'll probably have them next to the woofers in the doors at first, see how I like them. The door has a tweeter spot up next to the door handle, but it's a lot closer then the woofer. The stock tweeters were really bugging me there and timing was noticably off. I moved them down by the stock woofers and liked them much better that way. They match much better and aren't so in your face. Imaging still gets up to dash height, so there doesn't seem to be a big problem with keeping the tweeters low in this car. The same arrangement will be a good starting point with my new component set.

I do plan on running something in the 200 to 300 watt range to them. Maybe the TW1s are a little more behaved than the ones that came with the Elites originally. Otherwise, I can always quiet them down a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts