DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a boat load of posts, but some of you people apparently have way more expendable income than myself. I am looking for a budget amp that will support active crossover. I don't necessarily plan to utilize that day 1, but I friggin hate buying components only to replace them in a year or so. Ideally I would like to drive my component PPI 356's that this forum talked me into as well as my Infinity Kappa 63.9's in my back door. But I could leave the kappa's off the amp. My new head unit will not support active, so I will have to go the amp route.

I mention budget because I don't want to spend more than absolutely necessary. But at the same time, I don't want a Pyle of crap. I really liked the THD and S/N i was seeing from Planet Audio and US Acoustics.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If you are saying that you want an amplifier which has the on-board processing for directly running an active set-up, then what you need is a product that includes bandpass x-overs - not just the typical HP/FP/LP modes which you see on most amps.

Personally, I have only ever used one such amp - the Soundstream Rubicon 555, which of course is no longer available. However, there are new models from SS that do include this fairly unique function which you may be interested in looking into.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do you run active through your head unit? Or external active crossover? Or do you run passive?

The F90bt that I am lusting after don't support active, so I have to do it elsewhere. Prefer to avoid adding more pieces, so I am hoping for an amp to support it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I really liked the THD and S/N i was seeing from Planet Audio and US Acoustics.
Yeah, and neither of those companies would make up numbers like that, waiting for a guy like you, who thinks those will tell you what you will hear :)

Most of the posters on this forum buy higher-end amps, used, at lower prices.

The OLD Hifonics 4-channels used to allow BP xovers, I think - Series VII?

But yes, most 4-channel amps have a simple 2-way HP/LP xover. Will handle the mid-tweet handoff, but not limit the bottom end of the tweeter. Will your HU high-pass the front output?

Here are two very nice used amps in the Classifieds at present...

Jl 300/4 v2: $240 OBO

$160 shipped for the 400.4

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
How budget is budget?? Most budget amps usually don't allow for "active" due to the relative user (noobs) it's as much a safety feature as anything.. lol..

You could always get a budget amp and an outboard crossover to produce the proper active crossover points.. you may even be able to finagle it through the HU and amp.. (if the HU has x-overs)..

There is a decent Powerbass 5ch going in hot deals right now that people seem to like for the money... not the greatest, but when on a budget, can't drink champagne..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably the ARC 400.4 for $160 would be near the top. The H/U on the Pioneer F90bt doesn't have crossovers. I need to research to see if it will high pass the front output.

VP nailed it concerning my fears with the made up numbers. I will check out hot deals for the power bass amp.

Keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just checked the PB amp, and I had posted the question yesterday on that thread asking if the amp will support active crossover. 1 person said it wouldn't, another said, "Yes it will". Can anyone verify it for me? It says it has built in LP/HP, but also appears to state you can set your crossover at 40 - 250 Hz.

Built-in Crossover Low-pass (LP)
High-pass (HP)
High-Pass Crossover Frequency 40 - 250 Hz
Low-Pass Crossover Frequency 40 - 250 Hz

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
What do you mean by 'support' active x-over? Any amplifier will work with whatever outboard x-over that you may want to use.

Something like the PB amp you are referring to only appears to offer the typical high pass/low pass/full range configuration. In order to run active, you will need bandpass capability.

Not that I am endorsing this brand specifically, but Here is one example. Note that the features include a bandpass x-over option.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Look at the Sundown SAX 100.4. 4X100 watts will let you run active. 315 dollars shipped from Sundown Audio. Just bought one yesterday. Going to run the PPI 365's. So very similar to what you are trying to do.

Using the subsonic filter to hipass at 100 hertz or lower. Its not a full frequency bandpass option, but it will do what you want it to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am looking for an amp with the bandpass capability already in it. So to extract the keyword from the SoundStream description below, the Variable Crossover with keyword "BAND" is what I should be looking for? Sorry to ask simple questions, but I want to figure out how to tell without bothering you guys.

ClASS A/B MUlTI-CHANNEL FEATURES
• Midnight Blue Finish w/ Brushed Accents
• MOSFET Pulse Width Modulated Power Supply
• Three-Way Protection Circuitry (thermal, short, impedance)
• Delayed On/Off Circuit
• Tri-Mode Capable
• Variable Crossovers (HPF/Full/LPF/Band)
• Variable Bass Boost
• High Level Input
• Direct Wire 4 ga. Power, 8 ga. Speaker Terminals

·
Registered
513 Posts
Kenwood X4R, no contest really as you get time alignment and 10 band parametric too. It's cheap, efficient, small, good build quality. You can bandpass the midbass using the infrasonic filter, plus you can simulate a steeper/higher xover using the EQ band 1 if needed. Also keep in mind that the F90BT has the ability to highpass the front outputs... if I remember right, you can choose 50/63/80/100/125 for the xover frequency at the head unit.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Again, give the Sundown a look. You will be able to run the tweeters off channels 1-2 and the mids off of channels 3-4. With channels 3-4 bandpassed. For the quality of the amp and the customer service you will be happy.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The point here is that there is more than one way to accomplish an actively crossed-over system. Keep in mind the bandwidth that you intend to utilize each pair of drivers for, and then look for an amp which provides the capabilities that will match your criteria.

If you can't find one, and your source unit isn't capable, you either need to upgrade the deck or look at outboard processing if you are set on going active.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
The point here is that there is more than one way to accomplish an actively crossed-over system. Keep in mind the bandwidth that you intend to utilize each pair of drivers for, and then look for an amp which provides the capabilities that will match your criteria.

If you can't find one, and your source unit isn't capable, you either need to upgrade the deck or look at outboard processing if you are set on going active.
AMEN.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I have a US Acoustics USA6300. A search on this forum will show the thread I bought it from, which includes information on the crossovers. I would be willing to part with it for the right price I think.

A google search will also yield the owners manual, which has another explanation of the crossovers. If those ranges are what you are looking for, then PM me.

Off the top of my head (these numbers are rough estimates):
1+2 500Hz> 5000Hz HP
3+4 45Hz>2500Hz BP
5+6 10Hz>250Hz LP

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Can i use my PDX 4.150 in an active setup? eg. connect door speakers to two channels, and tweeters to another channel?
First off, any amp will work for an active set up. What you have to be aware of is the crossover section. Either your headunit has built in crossovers, your amp has crossovers , you use a crossover/processor or a combination of all the above.

Usually what is done is the tweeters are crossed over high pass above 1000 hertz more commonly 2500 and higher. The midrange/midwoof plays lowpass from about where you crossed the tweeters at. Also since you don't want to over stress the mids you high pass them as well to take out the lower bass frequencies so say a high pass @100 hertz for example. So now your mid is band passed 100hertz to say 2500 hertz.

Looking at the crossover circuit of the Alpine, I would say it lacks the ability to bandpass the midwoof. And I couldn't see if the highpass was high enough for tweeter duty

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
ADS made a 6 channel fully active amp. Also Zapco makes some but they are big money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts