DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you running a helix v 8 or p six? Or are you running mini 8x 12 DL? I don't know what would sound better. Anyone try both? Man, it's seems like a tough decision. Read good things about both the helix & mini with dirac.

· Registered
6,839 Posts
I ran mine with Dirac Live, but i only had misbass 8wm and they were phenomenal on Tru Technology B2200

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,480 Posts
My 8WM’s run off a Mosconi Pro 2/10
My 3.5WM’s run off a Pro 4/10 along with the tweeters…I’ll be swapping the TKMX tweeters for TBM’s here soon.

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
My 8WM’s run off a Mosconi Pro 2/10
My 3.5WM’s run off a Pro 4/10 along with the tweeters…I’ll be swapping the TKMX tweeters for TBM’s here soon.
You mean like these?

· Registered
807 Posts
If I had Utopia money I'd do my damndest to run off a Helix Ultra and Mosconi Pro amps...

· Registered
2,054 Posts
I'd run the DL but that is what I'm familiar with and have had positive experience with. TBH I'd run the DL even over the Brax DSP. It can make corrections that traditional DSPs can not.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mean like these?
Why the focals in the first place since you had a bunch of Thesis sets? Just curious. I would have thought you'd try the Thesis first and then the Focals. Be sure to let us know how it all turned out & if you made the right choice. Should be interesting.
Tom

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
Why the focals in the first place since you had a bunch of Thesis sets? Just curious. I would have thought you'd try the Thesis first and then the Focals. Be sure to let us know how it all turned out & if you made the right choice. Should be interesting.
Tom
Hi Tom,

That is a great question and it can be best explained with a rather long-winded answer.

I really liked the Audison AP F8.9 (8 channel) DSP AMP and wanted to use it in my vehicle. It has 85wpc (@4ohms) and/or 130w (@2ohms). Since the Thesis Sax Woofers need 150+wpc and I did not want to bridge, I went the Focal W165XP Utopia set, as the woofers were 2-ohms (thus 130wpc) and the awesome beryllium tweeters (my installer has them on both his display board).

My original intention was the run 2-ways set-ups – front and rear. Luckily, I was able to find a second set of the Focal Utopia XP Woofers on this site, so now have four of them in all four doors. Needing an additional set of tweeters for the rear, I went with the Thesis Violino tweeters, which mounted perfectly in the rear C-Pillars.

This system (along with an Audison Sub and an Audison APF1D Sub Amp) sounded really, really good, and most people would have been satisfied! But, what can I say, other than, I was bitten by the Upgrade-Bug and kept wondering how much better sound I could get – if I added a midrange to my front sound stage.

So, I got a set of the highly-respected Thesis 3.0 Voce II Midrange speakers and began planning how to implement them. My initial thinking was to simply insert them in between my existing Focal Utopias, as I really did love the TBXP Beryllium tweeters!

To power the new midranges, I either needed to buy the Helix V12 or keep the same Amp and rededicate two of the rear channels. My installer suggested using the two channels that powered the rear Thesis Violino tweeters to power the front midranges, which sounded reasonable and saved me $1k (or more). But, it also meant I would have $1,500 worth of unused tweeters sitting in my rear C-Pillars or I could remove and sell them.

Then my installer brought up the fact that the Thesis Violino’s and Voce’s were designed (engineered) to work together and it would sound better overall to move the Violinio’s to the front. This continues to weigh heavy on my mind, as it was not what I originally wanted to do. The truth is, I loved the TBXP tweeters and could barely hear the Violino’s (in the rear), so “YES” I am a little bit worried and going on faith here. I get my installed completed THIS Friday...!

The TBXP Tweeters are awesome tweeters, they handle highs perfectly, super clear, great clarity, without any slurring of “ssss” from vocals, they are tight and crisp with (drum) cymbals and sizzle when playing synthesizers sounds! I highly recommend them!

Yes, I also have additional sets of brand new Thesis Tweeters (Violino) and Midranges (Voce) which would match up with (your) Focal Utopia Woofers just fine, if you or anyone else is interested, please look up my ad.

Reactions: Anu2g

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
I'd run the DL but that is what I'm familiar with and have had positive experience with. TBH I'd run the DL even over the Brax DSP. It can make corrections that traditional DSPs can not.
I still disagree on this statement because the lack of quality cheap hardware alone is what drives me away from minidsp. No company can sell that cheap and have high quality parts with barely any markup let’s not forget they have to pay for the license to use In. The system. I’m sure it’s a great Dsp. But anyone with enough time can make it sound better then that and maybe it might take an additional analog eq after the dsp to make this get similar graph points as the Dirac live would but end of the day I’ll spend my money on quality hardware. But that’s personal preference as I believe in quality hardware more. And no I don’t mean over tuning I mean over cheap hardware.

This being all said if they made a top of the line modular setup with super high end parts like abd features like the zapco hdsp with Dirac live then yes I would be alot more swayed to them. And it doesn’t bother me to pay them 3-5k for it because it would fix my issues faster but no they do t have it and I don’t think they will ever. Put in a flagship ess9038pro dac for example.

· Registered
2,054 Posts
I still disagree on this statement because the lack of quality cheap hardware alone is what drives me away from minidsp. No company can sell that cheap and have high quality parts with barely any markup let’s not forget they have to pay for the license to use In. The system. I’m sure it’s a great Dsp. But anyone with enough time can make it sound better then that and maybe it might take an additional analog eq after the dsp to make this get similar graph points as the Dirac live would but end of the day I’ll spend my money on quality hardware. But that’s personal preference as I believe in quality hardware more. And no I don’t mean over tuning I mean over cheap hardware.

This being all said if they made a top of the line modular setup with super high end parts like abd features like the zapco hdsp with Dirac live then yes I would be alot more swayed to them. And it doesn’t bother me to pay them 3-5k for it because it would fix my issues faster but no they do t have it and I don’t think they will ever. Put in a flagship ess9038pro dac for example.
There is a common misunderstanding that Dirac is just an automated magnitude & phase eq. It does more than that... it takes the ringing out of the "room" utilizing what I would call similar to noise cancellation tech... there is a reason for the relatively high latency.

Reactions: Anu2g
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.