DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Designing a multiple driver speaker for my home system, and while I know how I want to build it and some of the theories as to what can affect it, I'm looking for something that I can simulate it in before I cut my first piece of MDF. The problem is that the design is much more complex than most of the software I'm finding handles. Instead of a simple box with a port, I'm wanting to put a driver in one spot, go through some baffling that isn't "straight through," but widens and constricts periodically before going through a midrange driver's chamber (or more specifically, two of 'em) and then finally the exit port. My main question, if I can't find suitable software to simulate it is how to calculate what the widening and narrowing of the baffles and air path will do to the frequency response of the speaker array before I begin to add a double handful of filter capacitors to direct the energy to whichever driver can produce it most effectively. (I can pretty well estimate and make changes electrically.)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Take a look at SoundEasy as it may do most or all you're looking for. I have a license but haven’t used it yet. However, I’m on the email list and it is updated often so if you invest in the software, it should last a long time and grow with you. I’d be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Bodzio Software

If you go to DIYAudio, they could give you more guidance as that forum is pretty much completely speaker design focused.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I know it's design software, but at $250, it may be more profitable for me to just estimate and build. ...though how can I accurately estimate how the variations in port size will affect sound? Average the direct path and about 75% or so of the longest path?

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Hmmm... I know it's design software, but at $250, it may be more profitable for me to just estimate and build. ...though how can I accurately estimate how the variations in port size will affect sound? Average the direct path and about 75% or so of the longest path?
You may want to do some reading and ask on diyaudio.com where they concentrate on home audio. Very good info there.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
There must be a million speakers already designed and researched by people much much more experienced than you are. Read up on them and choose one that looks interesting to you. GR Research is one company that sells amazing diy kits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts