DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost complete audio system in my car rn, its composed of Audiofrog 6.5 up front with Audiofrog tweeters, ran off an audison ap 8.9, with a JL stealthbox 10w6v3 powered by a hertz 600 watt mono amp, and everything is controlled by an audison drc-mp. The only thing not upgraded is my head-unit is because in my car they don't offer a single or double din replacement kit because the climate controls and the stock radio are one unit. It's possible to get a JDM kit to fit a double din kit but costs upwards of $350 not including a new head-unit. So my question is IF I pull the trigger on a new head unit how much of a sound quality gain will I get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2017 Toyota 86. Focal Utopia M, Audiofrog GB, Mosconi Zero
1,122 Posts
It really depends on your car and how your dsp is set up.
It's not uncommon to not have the option to replace head units in cars these days, so there are lots of products that excel in integration on the market. But they need to be used well to remedy any changes in signal the factory headunit puts onto the signal.
If I were you, I would find a way to bypass the HU completely and feed the signal right to the DSP. Even if it's just by using a 3.5mm to RCA cable. If that makes a big difference to you, it may be worth spending the time and effort to change the HU. But if youve nailed integrating to the car already I doubt you will be able to tell much of a difference.

· Super Moderator
2,607 Posts
I have an almost complete audio system in my car rn, its composed of Audiofrog 6.5 up front with Audiofrog tweeters, ran off an audison ap 8.9, with a JL stealthbox 10w6v3 powered by a hertz 600 watt mono amp, and everything is controlled by an audison drc-mp. The only thing not upgraded is my head-unit is because in my car they don't offer a single or double din replacement kit because the climate controls and the stock radio are one unit. It's possible to get a JDM kit to fit a double din kit but costs upwards of $350 not including a new head-unit. So my question is IF I pull the trigger on a new head unit how much of a sound quality gain will I get?
Do you have a AP8.9 (35wpc) or a APF8.9 (85wpc)?

Are you running GB60 woofers?

Which tweeters? GB15?

Have you considered adding the GB25 or GB40 Mids ?

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It really depends on your car and how your dsp is set up.
It's not uncommon to not have the option to replace head units in cars these days, so there are lots of products that excel in integration on the market. But they need to be used well to remedy any changes in signal the factory headunit puts onto the signal.
If I were you, I would find a way to bypass the HU completely and feed the signal right to the DSP. Even if it's just by using a 3.5mm to RCA cable. If that makes a big difference to you, it may be worth spending the time and effort to change the HU. But if youve nailed integrating to the car already I doubt you will be able to tell much of a difference.
I believe it is already fully bypassed I control everything through the audison drc. The only way I still use the factory radio is if I manually select it to use it to use the radio for drive in movie theaters.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a AP8.9 (35wpc) or a APF8.9 (85wpc)?

Are you running GB60 woofers?

Which tweeters? GB15?

Have you considered adding the GB25 or GB40 Mids ?
It's the 8.9 but the installer told me it was bridged so the fronts and tweeters receive more because there's no rear speakers rn. I don't think they are the gb, I think they were the gs

· Banned
24,246 Posts
Whats left to improve my sound
Honestly, everything listed can be upgraded. Going 3 way and depending on what vehicle it is, swapping out the OEM radio for aftermarket would be your 2 biggest improvements. Next would be upgrading the processor/amplification. More/better deadening. Better subwoofer, etc...

· Listener of Music
5,312 Posts
Honestly, everything listed can be upgraded
This is true fit most people in here. That stuff shouldn't sound like crap depending on your answer to the following......

So my question is IF I pull the trigger on a new head unit how much of a sound quality gain will I get?

· Registered
3,984 Posts
That stuff shouldn't sound like crap depending on your answer to the following......
I'd also ask the OP.... Does he feel like anything is missing/lacking/not as good as he's expecting.

The first post doesn't read as though he's unhappy, so, maybe nothing needs to change.

If it were my vehicle, I'd absolutely rip out the OEM head unit if possible, which it sounds like it is, just upgrading that to a new head unit with Android auto, something that can play FLAC, built in streaming etc while won't necessarily improve the sound, will improve functionality and the user experience.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the hiatus but I'm looking for a kit to swap the head unit but who knows that'll be before one pops up on my cars forum. I'm leaning towards Sonys new floating es head unit or their single din audiophile head unit both are roughly the same price

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.