DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what can get louder and sound better

a 3 way system or 2 way because im switching to active and the 3 way creates way to many problems

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
what can get louder and sound better

a 3 way system or 2 way because im switching to active and the 3 way creates way to many problems
In a vehicle, I think people who put a 3-way setup up front with an 8" are trying to "pull bass up front" and usually lowpass a big sub in the back under 50Hz-70Hz, then lowpass the 8" up front around 150-300Hz and then use a mid and tweet for the rest, preferably up high in the dash or A-pillar. IMO, in a car, this method sounds best. It's not about "louder" it's about "better". Although, if the crossover points and drivers are selected properly, you can achieve cleaner output as you turn up the volume louder and louder.

For instance, I added a dedicated midbass and yes, the quality at louder volumes is "better". I could get my system just as loud before but it simply sounds cleaner with the setup as it is now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
all SQ Aside....

Percieved loudness is different than actual SPL. Psychoacoustics tells us that the human ear is most sensitive to 2000-5000Hz so 3 way setup will sound louder, but put the same amount of wattage to the 2 way seup and you'll see a higher SPL from your 8" driver.

What problems are you having with your 3-way setup?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks guys i also got a vette 99 frc

i seen your posts in corvetteforum

but anyways the problem is that i want to use the 3sixty.2 to do all the adjustments

and now if i stay 3 way without passive crossovers i have to get different amps

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi, C6 Corvette Guy here, also on Corvette Forum.
The 3Sixty.2 has six channels total.
One channel is a dedicated sub channel that can only be lopassed to 200hz.
You would need six channels to run your front three ways, actively, plus one channel for a sub. For a total of seven channels.

·
Registered
115 Posts
all SQ Aside....

Percieved loudness is different than actual SPL. Psychoacoustics tells us that the human ear is most sensitive to 2000-5000Hz so 3 way setup will sound louder, but put the same amount of wattage to the 2 way seup and you'll see a higher SPL from your 8" driver.

What problems are you having with your 3-way setup?
Good point, but that's not the whole story. Psycoacoustics is more than just equal loudness contours. It depends on the type of signal and its spectral content over the entire frequency band. Pink noise is perceived as louder than any pure tone sine wave at any frequency. Its also perceived as louder than white noise, even though white noise has more energy/band. Look into Zwicker loudness models for more on this.

But overall cone area is greater with the 2 way setup, assuming a 4" mid and a 6.5 woofer, so the 2way has more physical potential to move more air than the 3way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts