DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Scan Guage 2 in my car for about 3 years now. I love it and it is a great tool. But my question is, is that more accurate of a voltage reading since it is coming from the vehicle ECM than a Stinger or other similar voltage monitor? The Scan Guage 2 is usually pretty spot on to the the reading at the battery when I check it with the car running with my Fluke MM, +/-.2V.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Well, guess you already got your answer... Anyway, fluke are a great company that comes out high performance industrial testing equipments...
Also, it depends greatly what you want to measure, for me, I like to measure my battery's since it is already 41 months old(expected to last only 3 years), HU's power voltage for potential whine and amp's power terminals to ensure my connections are "0" resistance....

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Stinger voltmeters are not very accurate and need calibrating out of the box. Use your Fluke and the pot under the plastic window to adjust the voltage till it matches your Fluke.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I have had a Scan Guage 2 in my car for about 3 years now. I love it and it is a great tool. But my question is, is that more accurate of a voltage reading since it is coming from the vehicle ECM than a Stinger or other similar voltage monitor? The Scan Guage 2 is usually pretty spot on to the the reading at the battery when I check it with the car running with my Fluke MM, +/-.2V.
The scan gauge is just displaying the info that the ecu is feeding it. (let us say) it were to be off, it wouldn't be the scan gauge itself, but the ecu sending faulty info to the S-G unit.

The modern ecu, accurately monitor's every electrical parameter in a vehicle to optimize (within programmed limits) the vehicle's performance.

Stinger (cheaply)mass produced displays(for example), may or may not be true. And also, their accuracy may be affected by atmospheric temperature changes.

You get what you pay for, in general. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts