DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions and facts to be that should be considered when buying RCA cables. Do you really get what you pay for? Is there a kiss rule that can be applied to save money and get great results. I have seen many threads on hardware but not much on the interconnects. Thoughts anyone?:)

·
Registered
898 Posts
RCA is RCA. BARE minimum needed is the neg and pos are twisted, that is ALL. What most do is a bit more. Thicker jacket, copper braided outer jacket and sorts. Monoprice is the best way to get your cables that you need for cheap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a link to the Cat5 RCA's? I would think the small size of the copper and being 24awg solid would be a bad choice. The main think is Size some of the RCA's are thick and when you have 3 sets of them running from the front of the car to the back. Some of the RCA's get pricey are they worth the money?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
It needs to be shielded for unbalanced operation, cat5 5 is UTP and offers NO shielding.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the twist in the cable offers no protection from interference?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
not really, the twist is there for inducing the SAME amount of noise on each line to reduce CMRR in a balanced configuration and keep them the same length in a balanced configuration.

The snake oil will tell you different but facts don't lie.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Do you have a link to the Cat5 RCA's? I would think the small size of the copper and being 24awg solid would be a bad choice. The main think is Size some of the RCA's are thick and when you have 3 sets of them running from the front of the car to the back. Some of the RCA's get pricey are they worth the money?
Most of the RCAs are using thin wire... Don't let the thick insultaion cheat you....

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
A whole lotta money and not much else it would seem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looking for opinions and facts to be that should be considered when buying RCA cables. Do you really get what you pay for? Is there a kiss rule that can be applied to save money and get great results. I have seen many threads on hardware but not much on the interconnects. Thoughts anyone?:)
the basics? stay away from expensive materials, such as silver, on the wire itself. waste of money, as conductivity advantage over copper is negligible, and really not that important in low signal levels. gold or silver plating on the connectors are good for corrosion resistance.

as for shielding, do away with it. typical shielded wires work good in home environment for rf frequencies, but not in car, where your noise is mostly going to be magnetic field pickup from all the highly conductive metals in the car. stick to unshielded twisted pair (utp).

beyond that, build quality would be important. cheap connectors will use cheap plastic parts, that over time may break, while higher quality ones will look fancy and may last longer.

but don't expect sound quality differences. if you have cheap cables, and you have no noise in that system, then 'upgrading' to any other cable will produce no better sound quality.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Silver plated copper cables sounds harsh and lacks details. I won't use them ever anymore, only solid copper or solid silver wires.

Might build some day solid silver cables for my home setup and test how it sounds. If it's good then the car gets same treatment. :)
Not all systems sound good with silver or copper...you gotta test and find out.

These are supposed to be one of the finest sounding diy cables around.
Bit expensive to build, but hey it's 99.99999999999% silver ;): DIY Silver Interconnects

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Where's my dead horse. I usually keep him handy for just such emergencies.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
as for shielding, do away with it. typical shielded wires work good in home environment for rf frequencies, but not in car, where your noise is mostly going to be magnetic field pickup from all the highly conductive metals in the car. stick to unshielded twisted pair (utp).
Your advice is profoundly flawed, dangerous to those wanting to learn.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts