DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The woofer in the Virtus Nano 6.5 set s famously only 17mm (0.7") deep, but user reviews imply you'd never know from listening to them. I want to believe that, I do, but am struggling with the physics. Surely making sound requires moving air, and if you're using an incredibly shallow woofer you can't be moving as much air as a conventional depth woofer. What am I missing? Do they have greater extrusion, perhaps?

Educate me please, people!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's simply an inverted magnet structure. That and the VC are moving the cone, so it's just like a traditional large, external magnet structure.
I see, so the magnet's as powerful as a conventional design, got ya. But doesn't the volume of the cone also dictate how much air is moved? (I realise I'm possibly showing my ignorance here!)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cone surface area is the same, with the exception of the tweeter in the center. But there are several drivers with like designs. CT has the Tropo series. Shallow mount, but just not as shallow.
Automotive wheel system Circle Car subwoofer Audio equipment Auto part

·
Registered
620 Posts
I see, so the magnet's as powerful as a conventional design, got ya. But doesn't the volume of the cone also dictate how much air is moved? (I realise I'm possibly showing my ignorance here!)
Sd (cone area) isn't the ACTUAL surface area of the cone or the volume of the cone. It's the area of the cone based on its diameter plus about 1/3-1/2 of the surround.

·
Registered
620 Posts
linear Xmax of 3mm and max excursion of 7mm (before the coil is completely out of the gap) just means that you'll need to avoid crossing this thing at a low frequency. No lower than resonance (always), but raising the xover by an octave reduces the excursion requirements by 3/4.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Sd (cone area) isn't the ACTUAL surface area of the cone or the volume of the cone. It's the area of the cone based on its diameter plus about 1/3-1/2 of the surround.
If I have a 6.5” driver that has a flat cone and a 6.5” driver with a deep cone (that’s the best way I can describe what I have in my head LOL) do I actually get more effective cone area? I know the SD will be the same but what about real world performance (let’s just pretend all other variables were the same)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If I have a 6.5” driver that has a flat cone and a 6.5” driver with a deep cone (that’s the best way I can describe what I have in my head LOL) do I actually get more effective cone area? I know the SD will be the same but what about real world performance (let’s just pretend all other variables were the same)
No if that was the case there would be a segment of drivers with the design.
Like subwoofers that have parking cone like designs.
But you don't. What you do see a lot are flat cone woofers. Or variations of.

·
Registered
620 Posts
No. Because no matter the shape, the displacement from forward and rearward motion is the same and the SHAPE of the cone remains the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts