DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
I see, so the magnet's as powerful as a conventional design, got ya. But doesn't the volume of the cone also dictate how much air is moved? (I realise I'm possibly showing my ignorance here!)
Sd (cone area) isn't the ACTUAL surface area of the cone or the volume of the cone. It's the area of the cone based on its diameter plus about 1/3-1/2 of the surround.

·
Registered
719 Posts
linear Xmax of 3mm and max excursion of 7mm (before the coil is completely out of the gap) just means that you'll need to avoid crossing this thing at a low frequency. No lower than resonance (always), but raising the xover by an octave reduces the excursion requirements by 3/4.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If I have a 6.5” driver that has a flat cone and a 6.5” driver with a deep cone (that’s the best way I can describe what I have in my head LOL) do I actually get more effective cone area? I know the SD will be the same but what about real world performance (let’s just pretend all other variables were the same)
No. Because no matter the shape, the displacement from forward and rearward motion is the same and the SHAPE of the cone remains the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts