DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing twisted pair RCA cables to connect components included in nearly every kit I can find, and I absolutely cannot find standard, shielded RCA cables with the car audio stuff, and I have to go elsewhere. Since this equipment doesn't use balanced pair transmission, I don't exactly trust these cables, though they do look like they could be used in a work of art. Why have they become so popular now?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense, though I would expect they'd use a different connector. I'm here thinking all the RCA jacks are the same (single ended) and hearing that people are ignoring the differential amplifier part and pushing those cables on everyone.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I was always under the impression that you want shielded cables for unbalanced and twisted for balanced.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
You choose twisted vs non-twisted depending on the type of music you listen to...

:laugh:

·
Listener of Music
3,220 Posts
I was always under the impression that you want shielded cables for unbalanced and twisted for balanced.
You are correct. They work on the same principle. Getting rid of the signal that is the same.
I thought that accepting differential/balanced was the same thing for an amp as well.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
What twist rate do you recommend for hip hop music?
For hip hop, you twist the rcas OUT of the amp so I don't have to hear that shit!! :laugh: :p

J/K ;)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You choose twisted vs non-twisted depending on the type of music you listen to...:laugh:
This is correct.
I tried to use non-twisted RCA's while listening to a Twisted Sister album... and my speakers blew up.
Seems so obvious, in hindsight...

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
This is correct.
I tried to use non-twisted RCA's while listening to a Twisted Sister album... and my speakers blew up.
Seems so obvious, in hindsight...
Lmao

You should try listening to that Beatles song Twist & Shout with non-twisted rcas... The word "twist" in the lyrics is inaudible, the rest of the song is fine. :p

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
I have been seeing twisted pair RCA cables to connect components included in nearly every kit I can find, and I absolutely cannot find standard, shielded RCA cables with the car audio stuff, and I have to go elsewhere. Since this equipment doesn't use balanced pair transmission, I don't exactly trust these cables, though they do look like they could be used in a work of art. Why have they become so popular now?
Twisted pairs are popular because they ameliorate cross talk.
Maybe google twisted pairs, but the short story is that there is little area between the wires, and the twisting cancels out the magnetically induced currents.
A bit of a tautology is that shielded wire is designed to shield against electrical potential.
And there are twisted pairs inside of a shield, so one can have the best of both worlds... whether they help or not.

One usually ties the shield to the source, and the twisted pair goes in the usual spots (+ and shell)... so on the source end the Sheild and the ground go to the shell, and on the far end, the sheild is left free.

·
Registered
920 Posts
If I use directional cables, like those from audioquest in the wrong direction, will the songs play backwards?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If I use directional cables, like those from audioquest in the wrong direction, will the songs play backwards?
Only if you spin the cd backwards or listen to the streamed music in the mirror!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts