DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having some issues with an amp that i recently pick up from the classifieds, and being new to the zapco world i have no idea whats going on. So basically, the amp stops working without apparent reason, so far i have noticed that this happens when i drive over speed bumps or when i take a sharp corner, yet it has happened with my car stopped. Before i proceed further, i want to say that im using symbilink cables and SLDIN.Ts to connect from the amp to my vpa-b222. Back to my issue, i feel like my amp is not turning on for some reason once that happens, and i cant get it to work with my laptop. After a while it just decides to start working again :laugh: and everything is works fine again.

I know i havent really asked any questions so far :rolleyes:, does any one can shed some light on what could be happening?

thx

·
Registered
265 Posts
You need to detirmine for certain if you are losing power to the amp or just sound out of the amp. big difference there.

Maybe poke around the cable area to see if something is loose. Sounds almost like a bad ground or something to that effect.

Evan

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im going out to double check right now, yet i have checked it before and i have, in fact, power at the amp, but no sound and no power out of the amp.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep, from there i go to a distribution block, and i have another amp and other electronics connected to that that are working fine, its just the zapco amp.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Play the system and start beating the crap out of things (not literally)

But move the cables/wires around, thump on the amp with the soft part of a closed fist (trying to recreate driving bumps)

It could be as simple as a loose connection, or as difficult as bad solder or worse..

Is the amp hot/warm when it quits?

As people are asking, when it drops out, are the lights still on and it's not playing, or does it go completely dark?

Is it going into protect mode?

How are your speakers mounted.. I see dyns, which have the terminals toward the outer edge of the driver... is it possible they are making contact with the metal of the door and shorting out? I had that problem with MDF spacers, that got wet and swelled enough to move the speaker enough for the knurled terminals to cut paint and short...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thx for all the recommendations, i fixed it, i moved all the wires around and one of the was loose, there is another issue with this amp but that i can live with.

thx you all!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.