DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm torn between the 2 subs I've been playing with.
My JL 10W6v2 is a fantastic piece....very accurate IMHO, plays fairly low and deep when called on but not quite as low as I like sometimes. It also works well in ridiculously small sealed enclosures.

On the other hand my 10W7 gets as low and loud as I'll ever want but does it at the expense of a larger enclosure and IMHO not quite as accurate.

My enclosure doubles as my front center console so size is a concern but it sure does blend well sitting up front with me.

Anyway....how do y'all decide when auditioning subs ?
Low and loud but giving up a bit of accuracy or deadly accurate but not as low or loud as you sometimes like ?

Also....is there a way to figure in cabin size without actually trying it ? I'm about to convert my truck from a crew cab to a single cab and I'll be 4 way active when it's done. Would having 1/2 the cabin space factor into your decision ?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Enclosure size I'm playing with by putting 1/4 ft^3 blocks in a 1.75 ft^3 sealed enclosure to reduce and modify volume as needed to see what happens.

Power is more than covered....a JL Slash 1000/1
I can feed any 10" sub on the planet.

Technical specs....they are what they are but I'm not the worlds best at reading them. I own both subs and have been playing with both when I have a chance.

I'm just wondering how people decide on a particular driver. These both have their high and low points...and I just can't decide on which one to make permanent.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I mean really man its all going to be your choice in what you can live with,
Me personally im running a w6 12 with 1.5 cubes of a boston 2.200 brigded at 2 ohms in a trunk and it it gets pretty damn low.
Shakes the **** out of my car. Maybe try a bigger box and see what happens?
Edit: just read your last post and well..... stil going to be a trade off some i geuss.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the whole question....

There's always a trade-off....I just can't make my mind up.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Well do you have any eq? If so go with the w6 and boost the lower octaves 1 or 2 db to make the up the difference maybe.
I say that because we both agree that it is more accurate than the w7.
Also imo you can manipulate the way a speaker sounds easier than the way it behaves.
Well most of the time.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
There should be no trade off. The W7 should be just as accurate and articulate if not more so than the W6 and it will go louder. The W7 is JL's top SQ sub.

Whichever sub you choose, give it as much airspace as you can, either one will sound better with a lot of airspace, frequency response should be flatter and you'll gain additional low end along with lower power requirements. Either of these subs work very well in infinite baffle so "too big" is not an issue. The W6 has a smaller box requirement which might be why it sounds better in your enclosure. I think a 10W6 in that airspace would be great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts