DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
2013 QX56 factory system :-(
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going on guys, I currently have the HAT L3SEs and they are working pretty well, however as everyone here I am always curious of what sounds better.

The best sounding Midrange that I have been able to audition locally has been the CDM-600 that comes with the Morel Virtus 603 set.

I understand that everyone really enjoys the Esotar 430, however I find the price to be a bit of an obstacle.

Does anyone have any 3-3.5" midranges that I can research as I make my decision on what is next?

Thanks again.

· Registered
523 Posts
First place at all times -

Morel CDM54 (this is with experience) the CDM880 is even better.

Audison TH series Voce midrange - just wow.

Then the CDT ES02 I am using now

Then the L3SE

Scan Speak 12M - only from listening but it was good enough

Things I would love to put my hands on -

Bewith Fuji Bianco, Accurate
Pioneers stage 4 midrange (don't remeber the model)
Some Micro Precisions
AudioFrog!
Audible Physics (I hope I wrote it correctly) wide rangers
HAT L3PRO
ETON MGS
And ofcourse DynAudio Esotar
AD high series
ARC Black

As you may understand the list is endless but if I had to choose a favorite then my heart belongs to Daddy - the CDM by Morel would always win.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will be operating in a active 3 way, I have L8V2s currently crossed at 600 and PHD AF1.c crossed somewhere around 2k-2.5k.

Eventually I will look to upgrade the tweets and know there is a consensus regarding the quality of the Scanspeak 3004, however I am not a huge fan of the flange :(

· Registered
9,197 Posts
I will be operating in a active 3 way, I have L8V2s currently crossed at 600 and PHD AF1.c crossed somewhere around 2k-2.5k.

Eventually I will look to upgrade the tweets and know there is a consensus regarding the quality of the Scanspeak 3004, however I am not a huge fan of the flange :(
Well since you dont need it to play that low, my vote also would go for the scan 10f. Small diameter, excellent performance in that range, small enclosure particularly in that range, sensitive, flat response, and very clean up top so you dont need to crosss the tweeter that low to meet the mids limits. Plus if you dont like it someone will certainly by it from you.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well since you dont need it to play that low, my vote also would go for the scan 10f. Small diameter, excellent performance in that range, small enclosure particularly in that range, sensitive, flat response, and very clean up top so you dont need to crosss the tweeter that low to meet the mids limits. Plus if you dont like it someone will certainly by it from you.

Sounds good, do you think I am going to see an improvement from the L3SEs?

· Registered
5,092 Posts
"Midrange" which frequency span?

From 300-4000Hz I think Fountek FR88EX is a wonderful driver, one of my favorites. The best I've heard is the Scan-Speak 12mu but it's pricy. Scan-Speak 10f is a really good performer as well. Same goes for my current ETON 3-400 drivers. I've heard Dyn430 at multiple occasions and seen the test data on it - it's a great driver but it's overpriced in my opinion. The Fountek FR88EX performs just as good if you bandpass it 300-3500Hz or so. The Scan 10f is probably among the best widebanders on the market.

· Registered
5,092 Posts
Both the L3V2 and L3SE are better than the Morel CDM-880 in my opinion and quite honestly I liked the sound of the L3V2 a little better than the SE. The V2 is a bit smoother and laid back if you like that sound. Both can handle lots of power and get loud without breaking up. Be careful with some of the cheaper speakers as they can't quite match the volume without distortion. One of my favorite midranges are the one's in my logitech Z560 thx computer speaker system that are now close to 10 years old. I think the midranges in them are made by tang band and at one point I was thinking of using them in my car but the magnets are HUGE.
W3-871s I believe. An ok widebander imo.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.