DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Whats your favorite sleeper amplifier? Flies under the radar..

6K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  ChiTownSQ 
#1 ·
Curiosity is killing me here, I want to hear your guys' favorite sleeper amp. Could be that it cranked out WAY more power than rated or just sounded 20x better than the price it goes for on the market.

SPILL IT!

Ill start, my first class D was an MTX 500D that made well over 650 watts of power before it cooked and had to go back for service.

Should be a fun thread, please no crapping on other people's opinions.

Evan

#5 · (Edited)
The MBQuart QAA4250 Quad Mono underrated at 4x250. I can't believe how much it sells for these days. CA&E did a comprehensive review including the internals and basically said its un-frickin-believably overbuilt with the highest margins of safety and they have to go to the Audison HV Thesis to remember anything that compares with its sound quality.

They measured flat within 1db from 7hz to well past 48khz (it was flat past their SpectraLab's capability to measure) with outstanding slew rate etc... built-in crossovers measured picture perfect too.

I also love how it supports up to 20V inputs (I use it on my domes and even horns, and can actually just turn down the gains to level match) and it has a front end bypass switch. Two easily replaceable thermally controlled fans are a nice bonus.

Best part is, they're still only a few years old, so you don't have to worry about aging issues as with older amps.

The drawback is, they tend to have a little turn on/off pop. :( They're also huge, heavy, and consume a lot of power (highly biased toward class A)

#6 ·
The MBQuart QAA4250 Quad Mono underrated at 4x250. I can't believe how much it sells for these days.
Saw one go for about 2 bills on ebay pretty recently.

The drawback is, they tend to have a little turn on/off pop. :( They're also huge, heavy, and consume a lot of power (highly biased toward class A)
Yep. Had one once and thought it sounded like complete ass, actually.

I guess my favorite sleepers are the Rockfart 25 to Death amps (that some shmuck started a Hot Deals thread about a while ago :blush:). Don't know what they sell for used now, but they throw down some serious wattage.

#8 ·
Unknowingly I purchased 8 Aura Force amps because of the babble on here. decided one day I need more power on my mids so I bridged my four channel to them and then ran into trouble fitting a 2 channel for my tweets under my front seat. Low and behold the Aura fit so I gave it a shot......long story short WOW for the money. (still have 7 amps left :rolleyes:)

#10 ·
original mtx thunder amps small amps that did more than double thrir rated power.bombproof and last forever.
still have three im using in my truck right now.

#16 ·
Honestly, I got a smoking deal on the Xtant amps I currently am running. The old "M" series were some of the last great amps Xtant produced before the buyout. $100 bucks a pop :eek:

These in particular are 404m's.

50w x 4 @4ohms RMS
200w x 2 @4ohms bridged
CLEAN power and great looking amps too. It seems the old chrome Xtant amps can be had for a pittance these days. I highly recommend picking some up if you have the opportunity.

#17 ·
LANZAR Opti50c
25 x 2 @ 4 ohms, 800+ x 1 @ 1/2 ohm.

Moded PG ZPA's.
0.3= 600 x 1 @ 1-4 ohms, moded= 891 wrms x 1 @ 2 ohms
0.5= 1000 x 1 @ 1-4 ohms, moded= ?? well into the 1500 watt range x 1 @ 2 ohms.

The older MTX amp ?##? Was a 5 ch amp rated at 25 x 4 + 100 x 1 @ 4 ohms, benched 52 x 4 + 261 x 1 @ 4 ohms.

#19 ·
My favorite sleeper amp as of right now is the 2008 rockford fosgate t4002.

It is very small , could be placed under the seat, it is more powerful than it is rated for , it's fit and finish is the same as those with very expensive amps, It's parts quality from the resistor, boards to the terminals, equals or exceed the quality of very high end amps, and most of all it is available brand new and the price is a bargain and it is made in the USA .

Here's my review.http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/62558-amps-review-rockford-vs-xtant-vs-sony.html

#24 · (Edited)
Autotek AMX100.2 and 200.2, I have alwyas wanted a 200.2 but finding one so far is impossible. I know of only one person that has owned one (Tristan), it was called the unicorn becuase they are rare as hell. I know more people have had them I just cannot find one anymore.
Aura MR line and RPM stage II

#27 ·
Whats your favorite sleeper amplifier? Flies under the radar..
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post

I guess my favorite sleepers are the Rockfart 25 to Death amps (that some shmuck started a Hot Deals thread about a while ago ). Don't know what they sell for used now, but they throw down some serious wattage.
Good one.

As far as sleepers go, presently the Zed BOSS :) [ dems da **** ;)

#28 · (Edited)
I haven't had a plethora of amps, but i like my Planet Audio 400.2. 400x2 at 2 ohms/400x1 at 4 ohms, puts out rated power at 12.5 volts, and has been pushing my IDQs faithfully for 5 years now. Not to mention it puts out an extra 172W at 4ohms mono...at that same 12.5 volts (my truck is pretty rock solid at 13.9-14.0 V)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.