DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says. What are the modifications done to a Linear Power Amp?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I don't feel like being a sucker....... lol

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Although I've been known around these parts to only say negative things about the Linear Power modifications, I will say something positive. Replacing the DIP board in the 5002 with the Servo board is actually worth it.

As for the other modifications, it depends on what your goals are and whether YOU think it is something that will add intrinsic value to YOUR amplifier.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I don't feel like being a sucker....... lol
You are the sucker if you don't read the WHOLE thread..

Blah Blah Blah... More DIYMA perpetuated BS..

There are reasons why old guitars and guitar amps are sought after.. The lengths people go through to find and hoard these amps and tubes for said amps....

This is the same deal...

These guys are driving off a cliff.... you going to follow without scoping the landing? or you just going to follow??

Basically, everything the dipshit above me posted has YET to be proven worth 2 shits... (lots of test gear sited, very few tests run)

It's funny, the people who normally hoard LP never spoke a word in that thread... They know better... A idiot will pull you down to their level... and honestly, those who know, could give 2 shits about these ramblings... hence not even bothering..

EDIT: quoted for posterity..

Post 266 from the above mentioned thread..

Wow, made it through all 11 pages. I have to put my .02 in.

I just recently had a 452 modded by Ray. I bought the amp NEW in 1990, it has been in 3 vehicles, gone through extreme temps (Lived in FLA, then Alaska), and have been beat on most of it's life (drove 2 kicker C8's then moved to mids/highs when I added another linear.) The amp started to get a little hiss from a channel.

Got it back from Ray, hiss? GONE. Power output? Equal to or greater than my 952 that is unmodded. I am happy, but keep in mind that my amp wasn't exactly in "perfect" working order when I sent it to him.

In case anyone is wondering, the 452 that is factory rated at 22.5 watts per channel is now making over 45 watts per channel.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
-most audio capacitors are replaced
-power capacitors are changed with higher/better ratings
-winds added to the toroid
-bias reset
-Wima capacitors added
-12AWG copper traces added
-Dip board removed (5002, 5002IQ)
-Servo feedback (5002,5002IQ)

There's more and it all varies from model to model. Some are few things changes, some a lot of changes.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Basically, everything the dipshit above me posted has YET to be proven worth 2 shits... (lots of test gear sited, very few tests run)

Aww, you mad bro?

Edit: By the way, how well did your Linear Powers work out for you? Must have worked out great since you put them up for sale.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Aww, you mad bro?

Edit: By the way, how well did your Linear Powers work out for you? Must have worked out great since you put them up for sale.
Economics man, been unemployed for the last 2yrs with no real hope in sight..

Me mad, naw...

Ell Pee sucks donkey dicks....

Go HAT...!

Know how I know you're retarded???

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Economics man, been unemployed for the last 2yrs with no real hope in sight..

Me mad, naw...
Damn man, I am sorry to hear about the continued unemployment.:(

I won't disagree with you on the dipshit comment because I can be one at times... A stubborn one to boot! Believe it or not, I am actually trying to change. I guess time will tell if that change is for the better or not.:p

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Well holy hell, are we agreeing to disagree??

I can live with that..

And thank you BTW.. I'm slimming everything down (and hopefully getting a fresh transmission to replace the blown one), in hopes to get the install finalized, maybe I can get a few shows in WITH an actual stereo, before I may have to make a dreadful decision of parting ways with the car.. :(

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
LPs were made with caps that went bad, so they should be replaced. LP is not the only old amp with this problem, but some amps are still going. They didn't know the lifespan of the caps at the time is all I can find. Caps are also about the only thing that will get out of spec, the amp should work as well as new with good capacitors if nothing else is wrong with it. Far as the mods, if changing a 2/4 ohm amp to 4/8 ohm is worth it (so you can get full power on 4 ohms) or swapping a card, or fixing a factory weakness, that stuff is worth doing if you want to pay the price. Otherwise its usually better to get a larger amp than try to build up a small one with more power.

·
Banned
601 Posts
LPs were made with caps that went bad, so they should be replaced. LP is not the only old amp with this problem, but some amps are still going. They didn't know the lifespan of the caps at the time is all I can find. Caps are also about the only thing that will get out of spec, the amp should work as well as new with good capacitors if nothing else is wrong with it. Far as the mods, if changing a 2/4 ohm amp to 4/8 ohm is worth it (so you can get full power on 4 ohms) or swapping a card, or fixing a factory weakness, that stuff is worth doing if you want to pay the price. Otherwise its usually better to get a larger amp than try to build up a small one with more power.
The mods aren't meant to change an amps configuration of 2/4 ohm to 4/8 ohm. Especially, considering all LP amplifiers were built to run at 4 ohm for full power anyways. A 2 ohm load isn't suppose to produce any more power in them. Most of the mods are SQ oriented and give the amps more sonic fidelity, while some are also power/stability increases.

All the amps have different mods so to ask what the mods are is going to differ based on the amp you are referring to.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I ran my modded 1752 @ 4 ohms bridged on a pair of 10w3v2s, even though the seller of the amp told me not to. I found it ran no warmer than my Orion 280 GX on the same of pair of 10s. Unfortunately, it took a lot more than amplifier choice to make those 10s sound decent in a sealed enclosure.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
The mods aren't meant to change an amps configuration of 2/4 ohm to 4/8 ohm. Especially, considering all LP amplifiers were built to run at 4 ohm for full power anyways. A 2 ohm load isn't suppose to produce any more power in them. Most of the mods are SQ oriented and give the amps more sonic fidelity, while some are also power/stability increases.

All the amps have different mods so to ask what the mods are is going to differ based on the amp you are referring to.
See for yourself
Linear Power, Inc. - Amplifier Modifications
Increasing current and voltage of the transformer is increasing output, as well as "more power output" he states. Given they are overbuilt amps and the power supplies in some of them were weak....you still stress an amp more at lower ohm loads or 'more output' however you get there. We abused the hell out of them when they were new, they worked fine except for highs, but that was the xx02 series. Some we ran four 4 ohm subs on one channel in parallel.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The LP's put out more rail voltage at 4-ohm stereo or 8-ohm mono than when taps where at 2-ohms for 2-ohm stereo or 4-ohm mono. So there is no such thing as full output at higher impendance.

I checked the rail voltage of my 5002 and its 48.9v with Taps at 2-ohms and 58.9v with Taps at 4-ohm.

Thats how most/all LP's have the same power out-put at 2-ohms stereo or 4-ohms stereo. Other amps you get more power at lower impendance's but you better be ready to supply a lot of current.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts