DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
My offer still stands. I have some experience with the Helix. I'm sure we can at least find the cause of the issues, and if it's just the tune/equipment settings, we can get you in much better shape than you're in now.

I guess this new format doesn't show my location, but I'm in East Denver/Aurora.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Wouldn't it be highly unlikely for a shop to refund the money for installation? I'm sure they would keep trying to fix the problems instead refunding money.
A good shop would do everything to make the customer whole. Either we have a bad piece of equipment in the chain or an installer that got in over their head. Not matter what, a good shop would go through it and either fix or find the fault. I do agree unless one of these are done, there should be a discussion about money back

·
Registered
119 Posts
A good shop would do everything to make the customer whole. Either we have a bad piece of equipment in the chain or an installer that got in over their head. Not matter what, a good shop would go through it and either fix or find the fault. I do agree unless one of these are done, there should be a discussion about money back
Only problem may be once he took it to another shop at best you're in a little gray area. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I went back and reread your other post about the install, and something popped up. You said:

The 18 Outback being a Limited has the Harman Kardon sound system and Eyesight navigation to be integrated with the DSP .3.

How was that integration done?
This is critical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Call Signature Audio in Scottsdale AZ and ask for Dave. Explain what's going on and see if he can help. It's about 10 hours but Signature is one of the best shops in the world.

·
Registered
17,756 Posts
Call Signature Audio in Scottsdale AZ and ask for Dave. Explain what's going on and see if he can help. It's about 10 hours but Signature is one of the best shops in the world.
why call a shop thats 10 hours away expecting to have them help you over the phone when the OP isnt their customer to take care of? Either go back to the original shop, or maybe call MSC America and see if they have a shop that they actually recommend to help you get set up properly once and for all. I think i already know who'd they recommend, Elite Auto Salon in Colorado Springs or Elevated Audio in Lakewood. Also, the second another shop puts their hands on an install they didnt do, you're going to be paying. Dont think its a rip off. Fixing another shops fuck up is not their responsibility to fix. Yes, some shops are straight rip offs, but a good shop, you're going to pay hourly and get your times worth.

I actually have a 2020 Outback with Harmon Kardon in my shop right now. Unfortunately its a new gen vs the 2018. Probably isnt 100% the same.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey all, I'm not disappearing from the thread I started but I'm on my last 12 hr night shift for this week and it's hard to do anything except sleep and get ready for work. To Gumbeelee, I'm from Kingston, actually South the River and went to High School at Midway. It's about 40 min West of Knoxville in Roane County.. And I'm a big Volunteer fan myself. Had season football tickets for a few yrs. Was there when we barely beat Arkansas to continue on to the National Championship. Thanks a bunch Clint Stoerner..lol ..I've been back to the shop where I got the installation done but the guy is open and up front that he isn't the one to do set up on a Helix because he doesn't know enough about them. I had somebody tell me to contact you Skizer, because you could log in with me remotely and since you are considered one of the top 2 US experts on Helix DSP's, together we could get this thing up and running which gave me some hope and was my next plan when I got my days off but I'm not so sure you would be willing to do that..Of course I'd pay as you as your policy dictates. Or since I haven't taken a day off from my regular work scedule in the 2 + yrs I've been in CO, it doesn't sound like too bad of an idea to drive out to Scottsdale if they think they could sort my system out. But there again, the cost in the end..I could be wrong but I do feel that everything is connected well and to the correct places and anybody who knows the Helix well will be able to get the system singing. Elevated in Lakewood would be ideal since they are fairly close but they were the first shop I went and talked to and when I was told they charge 4 hrs at 120.00 an hour per each amp installed, that ended my stay there..I could easily start another discussion on the pricing of car audio these days. Believe me I get it when a specialty service is offered it's going to be a little expensive but Lord God !!! Say I had a shop like Elevated to do it all, including buying all new gear from them. The system in the end would be well over 10 grand. I've never had 10 grand at one time in my.. I'm an average guy, single, single income, and swipe a time clock when I get to work. And to do a full install myself? I can't, even though I'd like to. No place to do it. None of the electrician's type tools I may need. Nor the time it would take even if I did

·
Registered
17,756 Posts
Elevated in Lakewood would be ideal since they are fairly close but they were the first shop I went and talked to and when I was told they charge 4 hrs at 120.00 an hour per each amp installed, that ended my stay there..
You know what they say, go a bit cheaper the first time and you'll end up paying more in the end..

I could remotely access your computer and help you out. But the setup of the Helix probably isn't exactly the problem. If the shop cant figure out how to set up a basic tune on a Helix, then im not confident that they can do much, especially including the integration portion of your install. This is where i think your problem lies. Honestly, be prepared to spend more than the 400 they wanted to get this all sorted out. I regularly fix installs that other shops did. Usually they take 10+ hours to get everything sorted to a level that we're ok with rolling out of our shop.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I feel like tuning is it's own specialty niche and isn't always exclusive to the installer. My strengths aren't running cable and fabricating pods but I love spending time just tuning and level matching gear after it's been installed. I live in a military town and in my area alone tons of people have gear installed in their cars but 99% of them don't know how to measure, set gains, eq, etc.. An app to get someone to come out and perform a professional tune would be awesome.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts