DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

When expensive install isn't backed up by shop???

3K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  Bchester6 
#1 ·
So I'm p[utting this thread out there to try and let off some steam and also maybe get some good advice. The car is a 2018 Subaru Outback Limited. I took some pics while install was being done if anybody would like to check that oiut. Recently I had a 3 way front/rear sub with one 4 way amp bridged to 2 ch going to front door mids and dash mids with 2 ch amp going to tweeters. Sub in rear has it's own 2ch amp bridged in mpno. All this is integrated with a Helix DSP.3 and the factory system. The mids on the dash right off the bat had popping sounds with the volume barely up. I left the shop in decent shape after a quick lets just get it playing kind of set up until the fuse in the power cable blew before I got home. Called a Car Audio shop in Boulder asking if they could tune the system and of couese they said yes but after the 2.5 hr drive there I sat for 3 hrs just to be told the shop owner thinks my 4ch Audison is bad or the DSP.3 is bad or hooked up wrong and charged me 95.00. Now I leave that shop and have no sound at all. I'll say this once and be done. I moved to CO from east TN 2 yrs ago. Since being here every single person, and I'm talking about 30 or so, have tried or did in some way rip me off for whatever they could get, and without blinking an eye. I called the original installing shop and asked for a time to come let the guy check his work and get rhis system playing but was told they couldn't get me in until Mar 10. So WTF?? I'm definitely not used to doing business like this and as far as getting my system playing as it should I don't even know where to go anymore. If I were to call any shop within 100 miles of me I think I could come within 95% of saying exactly what they are going to say. This is my first experience with a processor like a Helix but I never expected so much trouble finding anybody who honestly knows how to set one up. What should I do when I'm living in mountains and the closest car audio shop is over a hour away and any of them will tell you whatever they think you need to hear just to get you there. And so far the places I've used have pissed me off as much as anything. Professional Installers??? Yea, my ever MFing ass

See less See more
#2 ·
Taking it to a shop in Boulder, instead of the shop that screwed it up was the first mistake. I would call the original shop, let them know that fuses are blowing, and that you need it looked at right away. Any reasonable shop owner will make sure they get you in right away to fix their mistakes. You may have to be a bit insistent, but I wouldn't want to touch any one else's bad work, so I don't blame the shop in Boulder. You need to make a fuss, and hold the proper people accountable. What shop did you take it to? Good car audio shops are incredibly rare everywhere these days, and there are only about 2 in Colorado that are any good.

#3 ·
Surely the shop that did the install guarantees their work for a period of time? Take it back to them and say fix it! I'd just call them back and say I'll be back this Saturday or whichever day you're free. Don't listen to their BS. It is possible that they don't know much about dsp's though. Three years ago I went to several car audio shops and asked about dsp install and they all looked at me like I was speaking Russian. I mean literally no clue. One shop manager had to call his friend on the phone while I stood there for 20 mins listening to them trying to figure out how to do the install. I really couldn't believe it. Bottom line is you paid, they have a guarantee and a obligation to fix the install. Now tuning is a whole other issue. I wouldn't expect them to be able to tune it worth a ****. And I seriously doubt the helix is defective if brand new

#4 ·
Yea I guess I’ll be adding bits and pieces to this story. The reason I went to another shop is because the first shop that dud the install doesn’t have the piece of equipment to take the readings nor much experience tuning a system and none with a Helix. And it’s that same shop that installed the system last week that’s making me wait until mid March to check out the work I just spent 1700.00 for just last week

#6 ·
Can you cancel the payment or did you pay cash? That would get things moving quickly. Not that they can do much but you could also get the Better Business Bureau involved.
But you better start an organized journal of days and times you’ve had issues with pictures being a bonus. You have to have issues that you have evidence of or this could backfire on you if you cancel the payment and they get a lawyer involved.

EDIT: And if you cancel payment, send them a letter in the mail and tell them why you canceled payment and that you will pay once the installation works properly. Or give them the option to get their equipment back. I don’t know that I would necessarily let them remove the equipment unless you are right there to supervise or they may be vindictive and tear wiring and other things.

#8 ·
... I moved to CO from east TN 2 yrs ago. Since being here every single person, and I'm talking about 30 or so, have tried or did in some way rip me off for whatever they could get, and without blinking an eye.
I think if it is two years, and 30 people treat you all the same, it is time to reflect on that.

... I called the original installing shop and asked for a time to come let the guy check his work and get rhis system playing but was told they couldn't get me in until Mar 10. So WTF??
If it was two years already, then whatis another month or two?

#11 ·
did you buy the equipment from the install shop or did you bring it in to be installed? I would have the car back to the first install shop. If it didn't sound right and was blowing fuses, never take it somewhere else until you get the first shop to document what was wrong and what they did to address it. I would also not trust anyone that says they can install but doesn't tune a system. To me, that should be hand in hand. Every shop you take it to is going to charge to diagnose and it sounds like you may also have bad equipment in the chain. Again, it sounds like you need to go back to the first shop to get this sorted

#12 ·
Just to clarify...did the $1700 just cover the install, and you brought all the equipment to the party? Was it all brand new in box with warrantees? Or was some of it used stuff?

I think the lesson here is the shop that did the install should never have been hired, and if you had been ripped off 29 times before that, then you need to start asking better questions before trusting a shop with your car.

Did you know in advance they were not qualified to do the install? Meaning did you know they had not Helix experience, and no testing equipment?

There are people here that can help walk you thru some trouble shooting to try and sort this mess out, but i think the 2 things you need to do it get your money back for the install, and ask here for recommendations of qualified installers in your area.

#13 ·
If worse comes to worst, send me a PM, and I we can probably meet up sometime to look at it. To be clear though, you really need to take it to the original shop first and insist they they resolve the issues. I have limited experience with the Helix, but another member close by is running one, so I've gotten to play with it a bit.

#25 ·
A good shop would do everything to make the customer whole. Either we have a bad piece of equipment in the chain or an installer that got in over their head. Not matter what, a good shop would go through it and either fix or find the fault. I do agree unless one of these are done, there should be a discussion about money back

#15 ·
I went back and reread your other post about the install, and something popped up. You said:

The 18 Outback being a Limited has the Harman Kardon sound system and Eyesight navigation to be integrated with the DSP .3.

How was that integration done?

#16 ·
Sorry for being away from this post for a bit. First of all Yes, I had most of the gear already except for cables and sound dampening material. I talked to the first shops owner who did the install in 2 days about how I had most of the gear needed and told him I understood he was running a business and I would buy from him anything needed that I didn't have. He was cool with that and said he didn't mind installing whatever I had and even was honest about not having any experience with Helix DSP's as he sells Mosconi and also has one in his own car. The install itself was pretty well done and I was there through most of it. I really don't think any of the equipment is faulty. 90% of it was bought from people on here and if they were being honest, had very little to no use. And I do know that doesn't mean I wasn't being sold a piece somebody was shedding for some reason. If it does come down to any part being faulty it will be the first time in 20 yrs. And that includes a lot of home audio also. This Helix .3 seems to have a mind of it's own. When I left the shop yesterday who said they could tune it, I couldn't even turn it on the sound was so terrible. I was almost thinking that guy had caused something bad that he couldn't fix but today I can at least listen to the system and although I can tell it needs tuned correctly it's nowhere near as bad as it was yesterday, and I haven't done a thing with it. I'm pretty certain the problem is in the lack of knowledge with a Helix DSP of those who are trying to tune it. The guy in Boulder who wasted a day of my life and 4 hrs of my income can....The guy who installed everything is honest in his lack of Helix experience and I talked to him today and decided I'd take care of this DSP problem by first getting involved much more myself so to have a better understanding of the DSP.3 and if Helix's reps, if I can get in touch with one, can't help me work this out then I'll find the closest Helix dealer and go from there. I can't think of any other options. Being that it is very different here than where I came from as far as people in sales not being very honest I was thinking seriously of how to get my car and gear back to TN for a complete install and coming back but it's a 3 day drive there and 3 back, plus probably 2 days there for the install. I don't miss work for much of anything so that plan is too much trouble. What I feared might happen getting it done around here I am now facing. Sooo..It is what it is at this point and I'd rather get into the solution rather than let a couple fast talkers rent space in my head or to drag this out trying to punish anybody, and I'm just letting it go.

#17 ·
BTW, just wanted to say I really do appreciate everyone's input and thoughts. I got on this site a few yrs ago just to look for some gear on sale but man. This site, even after so many have gone on elsewhere, has been something. I've been able to vent and get non smarty assed responses back, I've gotten advice and knowledge I needed, and it's a place where I've done business with people I'll never meet yet they go out of there way to make sure I've got exactly what I thought I was paying for. Wish that still meant something to most instead of a few

#18 ·
Find owners manuals for all your equipment and learn all about it, including any other online research you can do. Your system needs to be re-assessed, starting with the headunit and going to any interfaces, the dsp, the amps, and the speakers. You must know the max clean volume of the headunit, whether or not a clean full range signal was obtained for the dsp, make sure the dsp inputs and outputs aren't clipped, and be sure the amp gains are set correctly. After that, gotta make sure time alignment is done properly, an RTA study is done, with a proper tuning of each dsp output, then perhaps resetting the amp gains. There is alot to do.

#19 ·
Unfortunately, I know your pain. My solution was to educate myself about basic audio installation and equipment.

Like F150 man said, you’re going to have to learn your stuff. I’m not a professional ? in the industry which is exactly why I now take the time to read the manuals. For example, my pac amp pro was set for a 5v output. Reading my helix dsp pro2 manual before installation, I learned that the rca input sensitivity is to be between 2v and 4v. Switched the pac amp pro output voltage to 4v and potentially saved myself about $700.

Not everyone has the time or desire to read the manuals or do their own install, but, at the very minimum know the basics of your equipment choices. This should allow you to begin to troubleshoot issues when necessary. As well as identify shops that may not have your best interest in mind.

Hoping you eventually get it all figured out. Good luck and get to reading!

#21 ·
My offer still stands. I have some experience with the Helix. I'm sure we can at least find the cause of the issues, and if it's just the tune/equipment settings, we can get you in much better shape than you're in now.

I guess this new format doesn't show my location, but I'm in East Denver/Aurora.

#31 ·
why call a shop thats 10 hours away expecting to have them help you over the phone when the OP isnt their customer to take care of? Either go back to the original shop, or maybe call MSC America and see if they have a shop that they actually recommend to help you get set up properly once and for all. I think i already know who'd they recommend, Elite Auto Salon in Colorado Springs or Elevated Audio in Lakewood. Also, the second another shop puts their hands on an install they didnt do, you're going to be paying. Dont think its a rip off. Fixing another shops **** up is not their responsibility to fix. Yes, some shops are straight rip offs, but a good shop, you're going to pay hourly and get your times worth.

I actually have a 2020 Outback with Harmon Kardon in my shop right now. Unfortunately its a new gen vs the 2018. Probably isnt 100% the same.

#32 ·
Hey all, I'm not disappearing from the thread I started but I'm on my last 12 hr night shift for this week and it's hard to do anything except sleep and get ready for work. To Gumbeelee, I'm from Kingston, actually South the River and went to High School at Midway. It's about 40 min West of Knoxville in Roane County.. And I'm a big Volunteer fan myself. Had season football tickets for a few yrs. Was there when we barely beat Arkansas to continue on to the National Championship. Thanks a bunch Clint Stoerner..lol ..I've been back to the shop where I got the installation done but the guy is open and up front that he isn't the one to do set up on a Helix because he doesn't know enough about them. I had somebody tell me to contact you Skizer, because you could log in with me remotely and since you are considered one of the top 2 US experts on Helix DSP's, together we could get this thing up and running which gave me some hope and was my next plan when I got my days off but I'm not so sure you would be willing to do that..Of course I'd pay as you as your policy dictates. Or since I haven't taken a day off from my regular work scedule in the 2 + yrs I've been in CO, it doesn't sound like too bad of an idea to drive out to Scottsdale if they think they could sort my system out. But there again, the cost in the end..I could be wrong but I do feel that everything is connected well and to the correct places and anybody who knows the Helix well will be able to get the system singing. Elevated in Lakewood would be ideal since they are fairly close but they were the first shop I went and talked to and when I was told they charge 4 hrs at 120.00 an hour per each amp installed, that ended my stay there..I could easily start another discussion on the pricing of car audio these days. Believe me I get it when a specialty service is offered it's going to be a little expensive but Lord God !!! Say I had a shop like Elevated to do it all, including buying all new gear from them. The system in the end would be well over 10 grand. I've never had 10 grand at one time in my.. I'm an average guy, single, single income, and swipe a time clock when I get to work. And to do a full install myself? I can't, even though I'd like to. No place to do it. None of the electrician's type tools I may need. Nor the time it would take even if I did

#34 ·
Elevated in Lakewood would be ideal since they are fairly close but they were the first shop I went and talked to and when I was told they charge 4 hrs at 120.00 an hour per each amp installed, that ended my stay there..
You know what they say, go a bit cheaper the first time and you'll end up paying more in the end..

I could remotely access your computer and help you out. But the setup of the Helix probably isn't exactly the problem. If the shop cant figure out how to set up a basic tune on a Helix, then im not confident that they can do much, especially including the integration portion of your install. This is where i think your problem lies. Honestly, be prepared to spend more than the 400 they wanted to get this all sorted out. I regularly fix installs that other shops did. Usually they take 10+ hours to get everything sorted to a level that we're ok with rolling out of our shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.