DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im trying to figure out where to run wires but find it almost impossible to not cross wires at all. I know the power wire and RCA should not be close. I think I can avoid that, but when running the right and left front speaker wire to components at some point the left speaker wire will cross the power wire (power wire will come through the firewall on the driver side). Is this ok? I think I could possibly avoid it but I would have to make the speaker wire fairly long. What do you experts do when the power wire and speakers wires get too close?

·
Registered
205 Posts
All I've ever worried about is the RCA's and Power wire. The rca's are what picks up noise

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so speaker wire crossing power shouldnt be a problem? that would make the install so much easier :laugh: I think im just paranoid.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just use a decent quality wire and you shouldn't have any problems. I've never run into any interference with wires before, only bad RCA's

·
Registered
898 Posts
power wire one side, the other side RCA or speaker and down the trany is the speaker wire or RCA's. Just don't mix anything up.

RCA and speaker wire can be mixed but I'm a purist and don't do that :D

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Everything in this thread so far is wrong. You can run whatever you want, wherever you want. You might have noise problems is certain cars around certain things like fuel pumps, but that's it. Here is nothing wrong with interconnects next to power cables.

·
Registered
162 Posts
same here too, i run both power (2 4 gauge + 1 4gauge -) and and rca the same side and theres no noise, maybe its because its a sub amp and u cant hear it from the subs.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Everything in this thread so far is wrong. You can run whatever you want, wherever you want. You might have noise problems is certain cars around certain things like fuel pumps, but that's it. There is nothing wrong with interconnects next to power cables.
Contrary to popular opinion, that is actually true most of the time. Occasionally it may help to run signal and power wires apart from each other, but only in specific instances.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So how do you avoid crossing the power wire with the left door speaker if the power wire is coming down the driver side? Just put it side by side with the speaker wire on the left of the power wire? Hope this makes sense...

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Everything in this thread so far is wrong. You can run whatever you want, wherever you want. You might have noise problems is certain cars around certain things like fuel pumps, but that's it. Here is nothing wrong with interconnects next to power cables.
Case by case I would say... But I agree fully with you.... Most of the people will prefer flaw = right..... Fact = wrong....
I tried run all(optical cable, IP-Bus cable, power cable, speaker wire) together and I don't have any problem with noise, I only have noise when my power supply chain having high resistance(due to dirty connections)....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I figured it would be better to ask here than start a new one...The power/RCA cable debate makes sense, but what about running power wire next to your speakers? My kickpanels will place the speakers in very close proximity to the 4AWG power wire I am running down the driver's side of the car. Will there be any interference?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It should be fine...just test it. You will have everything ripped apart anyways. Give it a quick test and if no interference your good :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
It should be fine...just test it. You will have everything ripped apart anyways. Give it a quick test and if no interference your good :)
True, but I haven't finalized anything yet, so testing won't come for a little while. Just trying to understand what potential obstacles I may run into and whether or not it will involve me redesigning wiring layout.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pretty sure speaker wire is ok crossing power wire, just try to make it cross at a 90 degree angle the best you can. It will more than likely be ok parallel if you have to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pretty sure speaker wire is ok crossing power wire, just try to make it cross at a 90 degree angle the best you can. It will more than likely be ok parallel if you have to.
The speaker wire I am not concerned about, but having the power wire running (potentially) next to the tweeter is what I am worried about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You'LL be fine, as long as ur using decent quality stuff...both power wire and tweeter have anough protective material.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem hopefully someone that knows what they are talking about can chime in ha...from my experience eventually some wires have to cross, as long as the rca and power arent close your good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts