DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to build an enclosure for 3 8w6 and am going to need every bit of space I can to make it just big enough. One of my thoughts is to use 1/2 inch instead of 5/8 or 3/4. The tops and bottom of the enclosure will be Fiberglass but the front, back and sides will be MDF. The front height should be no more than 6 1/2 inches with a span of 30 inches. The rear will be no more than 4 inches with the longest span being 16 inches. I figured I could get away with using the 1/2 inch by adding a couple of braces to the longest span. What do you all think?

·
Registered
56 Posts
It sounds like you're going to be spanning a large distance with fiberglass without much curvature. That might be a problem since fiberglass gets most of it's strength from non-planar surfaces. As the MDF goes, if you brace it well, you should be able to get away with 1/2", although you might end up losing the same amount of airspace to bracing as you would just by using 5/8".

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you're going to be spanning a large distance with fiberglass without much curvature. That might be a problem since fiberglass gets most of it's strength from non-planar surfaces. As the MDF goes, if you brace it well, you should be able to get away with 1/2", although you might end up losing the same amount of airspace to bracing as you would just by using 5/8".
It's going under the seat of an F150 so there is the curvature of the floor as well as the hump in the middle. All the little curves and the hump are the reason I decided to glass it in the first place after looking at it built in just MDF I noticed all the 90 degree angles and the airspace being lost because of them. I thought about the the trade off of using 1/2 but then adding all the bracing would just cancel that out but even with 3/4 at a 30 inch span I would have braced it anyway.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
If the 1/2 MDF is bonded well with the fiberglass I see no reason why it won't work out.

Just make sure you fuse some + braces every 8" or so.

I've done an enclosure similar to yours in a Honda pickup truck that had each brace cut to form to the back of the speaker due to the lack of space.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts