DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a little re-search through the forum and couldn't come across any form that really talked about this. I just wanted to get some personal opinions on when you would/have upgraded your stock alternator to something more powerful.

Lets see what we can get.

·
Registered
940 Posts
It would depend on how you use your vehicle IMHO. This is a very broad question; the answer could vary depending on what you are doing with the car...

Care to share more about your setup?

·
Registered
35 Posts
at the point where your voltage is dipping below 10v on deep bass hits, or the first time you need a jump start after parking after doin some blastin...

·
Registered
35 Posts
also it greatly depends on where you are starting out from... if you have a stock 135amp alternator you are in a better position than if you are starting with a 80 or 90...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured this would be a little broad. LOL. Guess I wanted to ask for myself but also for anyone else that is thinking the same thing they can come here and ask and get good answers

Well right now i just have 2 Memphis M1 15s with a PR1.1000 amp and a 4x100 amp for the highs. Both amps are being pushed through a Stinger SP1000 battery that's hooked up to my car battery. Soon here in a minute I'll be upgrading to 2 M3 15s and adding another PR1.1000 to give 1000watts to each sub. So at that point I'm wondering emh, new alternator as well? LOL

Thanks everyone for showing interest so quickly!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I figured this would be a little broad. LOL. Guess I wanted to ask for myself but also for anyone else that is thinking the same thing they can come here and ask and get good answers

Well right now i just have 2 Memphis M1 15s with a PR1.1000 amp and a 4x100 amp for the highs. Both amps are being pushed through a Stinger SP1000 battery that's hooked up to my car battery. Soon here in a minute I'll be upgrading to 2 M3 15s and adding another PR1.1000 to give 1000watts to each sub. So at that point I'm wondering emh, new alternator as well? LOL

Thanks everyone for showing interest so quickly!
Like I said - it still depends on your car. If you are driving a Pinto, then maybe. If you have a F-350, then maybe not;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drive a 2004 GMC Envoy, but LOL @ pinto!! Lol

I've just added a stinger sp1000 in the back. Thats what the amps are hooked up to.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
What's under the hood?
battery wise?

Why did you just not put the big battery under the hood?

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Why not have one battery that is sufficient instead of two? Did you research this or just go for the 'ol American Way thinking two is better than one without proper charge control for different types?

AGM's have different needs than open lead/acid. mixing can be a bad thing, cell equalization is a cool thing ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my apologies for not priding myself on this. Figured i could just come and ask some questions and get them resolved, answered, or advised. Thought that's what the purpose for this forum was. Am I mistaken by what the creator intended? Not trying to sound like a douche or anything but how can one expect to learn, if they get hassled? Just some 2 sense so you don't feel like I'm not paying you for your time here.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
I'm NOT hassling you I'm asking questions, I'm sorry that I'm not privy to your asumed grand scheme but at this point we need to resolve the current (no pun intended) issue then move on.

WHAT BATTERY IS UNDER THE HOOD?

You evidently deemed it insufficient.

path of least resistance

Did you try the big battery under the hood, by itself, before you stuck it in the boot?

Because I'll bet, for normal listening, a simple battery upgrade (which you have) would work without dealing with two batteries while utilizing the stock charging system.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
good god these dupes.. can I have a witness?

the dupe thing is not intended to the Op by the way, the forum dupes everything I post :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
The alternator is often the overlooked as part of your soudn system. For many cars, it's a pain in the butt to swap them out. I happened to luck out with my LS1. (I've swapped alternators in an Auto Zone parking lot in under 15 minutes)

Assuming your car is equipped with an on board voltmeter (digital is preferred) crank your system as much as you normally would when you jam. Your voltage should not drop below 13.5v with the car at idle

Before you go swapping out alternators for a Hight output model, you might be able to get a bit more voltage by upgrading your charging wire, battery ground and alternator ground wire. (also called the "big-3")

1 - 20 of 77 Posts