DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you take the exact freq point of breakup or do you choose a point just past that as your xover point? If a graph starts to break up just before 1100 Hz. Would I choose 1000 hz as the cutoff point?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It all depends on your slope that your going to be using, the shallower the slope the earlier it need to be, the steeper the slope the close it can go to the imperfection in the response.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that re-afirms my own thoughts, just needed to hear it from someone else.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Also, look at where the distortion rises or for any significant energy storage issues. For example, the Seas w18 excel has a breakup at 4.5khz, yet distortion performance above 2khz deteriorates rapidly due to the cone breakup amplifying harmonic distortion.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Where would someone get one of those graphs as far as distortion measurements and how to read them. Basically if i didn't know how to read the distortion graphs, or access to them, then how would i know that the driver has the cap. of going up to 4.5k but distortion starts showing up around 2k hz.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
You wouldn't :)

But between this forum and the links provided in the review forum it covers a pretty wide range of drivers.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
npdang said:
You wouldn't :)

But between this forum and the links provided in the review forum it covers a pretty wide range of drivers.
Exactly what i was looking for :)

I mean it really is an awesome thing with you doing all of these tests for individual drivers and such, letting people know usuable ranges and best bang for the buck investments and such......you do a great job.

The review forum is getting pretty filled as well, wish there was a few more measurments and such on lower priced subs like the tempest and such, as well as a few more moderately priced tweets like the LPG's and such, that preform as good as them, but only time will tell till they get discovered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts