DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May i know when did u know that u should upgrade to a 'bigger' alternator ?

Let say ur alternator is rated at 110Amp, so, using 1 sub amp that is rated 2000W X 1 @ 2ohm to drive a pair of paralleled 4ohm SVC sub and u have an amp of 100W X 4 @ 4ohm to drive ur mid and tweeter and an amp of 300W X 2 @ 4 ohm to drive ur midbass :

Do u think that ur current electricity is enough ? Will adding another extra battery will solve the electricity issue ? Or u still need to upgrade to a better alternator ?

How do u know ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I believe a 2nd battery without an upgraded alternator would actually be worse since the 2nd battery is just another drain to the alternator. If you're lights are dimming at night with the music it's a good indication that you could use an upgrade, though I'm not sure it's a necessity. If they aren't then you're probably ok anyways. Remember your amps aren't actually drawing peak amperes all the time, though you would get more dimming headlights if you are listening to a lot of bass music.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok since u said that dimming light might occur when bass music played, so, can we just look at the amp spec how much amperes does it draws the current at the max that our sub used ?
say, the amp that drive the subs (pair) draw 120 Amperes @ 1000W, so, this means that our alternator is short of 10 Amperes and it's time to upgrade the alternator....can we use that as an indicator ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about twin alternators ? Becos, an upgrade alternator usually rated at 125A compare to stock 110A, so i think it's not worth the upgrade.

I mean, put 2 alternators IF only the installation is not so hard to modify. Is it necessary ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts