DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1954 MG kit car built on a 1969 VW bug, and am hoping to install a killer audio system in pieces, as I can afford it (there is a broken 1980s Sanyo cassette jammed in the dash right now). I was told by an audiophile friend that my first step is to get a powerful head unit. I want to have the entire thing hidden if possible, no display, and I don't want a radio - just a bluetooth (pref. 5.0) connection, and maybe an AC jack or USB - and enough power and good connections to incrementally add 4 good speakers, a powerful sub and an amp (maybe a pre-amp too).

I would hate to end up with an obsolete system in 3 years because I chose the wrong unit to start off with.

Any ideas on where to look or who to talk to? I have found 3 products online, but have no idea if they are decent. Does someone have had some experience with these, or any ideas on where else I should be looking?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
What's your budget?

Most of the better DSPs have built in digital inputs that can use your phone or a dedicated DAP for source unit.

If you want CD quality (or better) audio then forgo BT and go direct digital.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
What's your budget?

Most of the better DSPs have built in digital inputs that can use your phone or a dedicated DAP for source unit.

If you want CD quality (or better) audio then forgo BT and go direct digital.

Doubt it'll make a difference in a 1954 MG kit car built on a 1969 VW bug! There not all SQ builds! Get the bluetooth amp.

Reactions: bigredboots

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I did see those, but I was not sure if that was the best way to go. Thanks for the info!
What's best depends on your budget and expectations. "Killer" system means vastly different things to each person.

If you want to stay below (even well below) $1,000 total and are perfectly happy with the sound quality of satellite radio then a BT amp is the way to go.

If spending $5,000 (total at the end - not all in one shot) and have more audiophile expectations then there are other/better options.

Either way you can plan to flush/shave the radio opening as there's no need for one if that's part of your plan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts