DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would get a little info before I start spending money. I have a 2000 Accord EX and would like to know where to start on my audio set-up. Right now I have a Pioneer P8300UB h/u, RE Audio 12.1 Amplifier and a small collection of subs. 2 Sundown D/4 SA-12's, a single SA-8" D/4 and a RE Audio SE 15" (pre US Amps buyout). I have no practice or experience with SQ setups, just average SPL systems.
I would like to re-use as much as I can towards a nice sounding SQ system for this car. I have installed nothing yet, waiting till warm weather comes while I stock-pile gear. I listen to a lot of different music but a lot of heavy metal (Lamb of God, Hatebreed, Tool, etc.) followed by blues (Gary Clarke Jr, SRV, Allman Bros) and a little rap (Yelawolf, Devin the Dude, etc.). I would like a pleasent, well sorted system that sounds natural, like a set of good studio headphones where the music just kind of exists as opposed to being forced on you with massive watts.
Now where do I start? I know I'm gonna need 6.5 components and would like to spend around $100 for the set. I know the options Cadence CWM6-kit, Alpine Type G's, MB Quart Onyx, Infinity Reference. But what about the install. I know I need sound deadening but where do I put it? It's rather pricey and would rather not experiment if somebody here can lead me in the right direction. Where do I mount the tweeters? Is the mounting depth too steep on any of these options for my Accord? Any other sets I didn't include? Wouldn't mind buying used off here from a credible seller.
Do I need to amplify these right away or will they be ok of h/u for a while? I have no problem spending <$150 on an amp for these if needed. What are some good budget RCA's to hook everything up? Etc...
And like I mentioned previously I would like to reuse my amp and one of the subs I own currently. Would rather not run the 2-12's ported due to box size. Do I use 1-12 ported, the 15" sealed etc? What is the best place to start? Any info given would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, that may have been a little wordy. Let me just rephrase my question. In what order would you buy and install your gear? Where would you put the most emphasis?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
OK, that may have been a little wordy. Let me just rephrase my question. In what order would you buy and install your gear? Where would you put the most emphasis?
Since your not in a hurry save up and spend a little more on the comps.
Thats where most of your sound will be coming from. skemp here and you'll just be wasting money in the long run.
About the deadening put it anywhere that rattles.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks AdrenalineJunkie and Thomas Luke. I tried searching the forum here but there are just so many threads and I don't know which ones to follow. I guess that's what makes me a noob. Still used to Another forum geared more towards SPL.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Thanks AdrenalineJunkie and Thomas Luke. I tried searching the forum here but there are just so many threads and I don't know which ones to follow. I guess that's what makes me a noob. Still used to Another forum geared more towards SPL.
Use google to search but put diyma behind the subject your searching for.
It weeds out a lot of the bull.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you're not in a hurry, I'd say save up and do it all at once, especially if you plan on keeping the car awhile.

Take your time and do it right the first time. If it's all done right and you don't cheap out anywhere, you won't have to get back into it and you can just sit back and enjoy the music.

There isn't a lot of joy in saving ~40/50$ on a component set, spending an hour or two to get them in and tuned up, and then deciding you don't like them and having to go through the waiting period of ordering more / selling the previous set / reinstall / retune.

Time and patience are key to getting it just how you want it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently I'm going to need either shallow mount mids or some MDF spacers due to this install being in a 2000 Honda Accord and I've got around 2" mounting depth. I'm going to follow the advice in the thread about easy door treatments, sans egg crate. The clay makes sense. I won't be able to spend $100 to deaden the whole door. If I were going to concentrate on one area would I work from the speaker outwards? On both the inside and outside mounting area and then out? What if I used a baffle? It's basically a small enclosure for the woofer, correct?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts