DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The Anti-Rice
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the hunt for a set of towers/book shelves. I think towers would have a advantage over Book shlves as far as low end, but the BS would blend better with my setting in the living rom withot being to "hey look at me!"

If others have opinions feel free.
These are the two sets I am haveing a tiome choosing between.....and DIY is out....I do not have the time to build them right now.

In black however.
Swan D2.1SE

or
Swan Diva 5.2

Please feel free to point me in other directions.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Seriously, you guys get all chubbed out about having to have the LARGEST possible midbass in a car, so much in fact that you will go thru HELL to incorporate a 3 way but yet you feel that a pair of 6.5 inch woofers, 1 left, 1 right is gonna fill a 1300 cubic foot room the way you want it.

And before you tell me that you ahve a 12" sub again... yeah I know, but it's not NEARLY as effective in that 1300 ft room as it is in your car......

Whatever you are smoking pass it over, because we need to be in the same state of dillusion :p

·
Registered
377 Posts
Have you looked into a company called Speaker Art? The owner (Bob Gross) is absolutely brilliant on crossover design. He has two styles of speakers available, the Super Clef (bookshelf) & Super Clef TL (tower). The latter is a 1/8 wavelength transmission line. The former is a very stout (55lb) bookshelf which is what I have in my house. I don't even use a sub with my setup, corner loading the speakers was all they needed for superb results(with 150w rms on each). Both designs are two way with either 6 1/2" or 8" woofers and vifa or scanspeak tweeters. There are two x-overs available but both have (I believe) 7th & 12th order notch filters. Because of the economy, I know that he is willing to deal direct and prices should be about 50% off of retail (possibly more). If you want more info PM me and I will give you his contact info or you can check out Speaker Art the site has not been updated in quite some time and does not reflect what is currently available.

·
The Anti-Rice
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seriously, you guys get all chubbed out about having to have the LARGEST possible midbass in a car, so much in fact that you will go thru HELL to incorporate a 3 way but yet you feel that a pair of 6.5 inch woofers, 1 left, 1 right is gonna fill a 1300 cubic foot room the way you want it.

And before you tell me that you ahve a 12" sub again... yeah I know, but it's not NEARLY as effective in that 1300 ft room as it is in your car......

Whatever you are smoking pass it over, because we need to be in the same state of dillusion :p
LOL IL must have some serious size in their houses because my whole house is only 1350 square feet of living space, not including the garage/shop. My sub is corner loaded and for movies, which is what this set up will more than likely be used for, it seems to do fine....enough to where Ihave it turned down the gain and the gain on the reciever to -11. Chad throw me a bone. Post up some links of towers/BS that have that oh so hard to please Chad stamp of approval. ;)

Like my car I do not have to have it loud, but when that little bastard it side of my strikes a nerve I want to be ale to turn it up with good results.

And unlike my car my wife has the final say whether or not the towers/BS match our decor. So they have to look decent. So unfortunately sprayed bed liner will not work in this application without me getting an ear full daily from the wife, which I want to avoid.....the ear full , not the wife.:D

I was orginally looking at the Swan 6.2 towers which use the dual 8" set up.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
CUBIC FEET

I'm looking for the same thing myself, hence why I was so upset to lose the auction on the a/d/s L810's ;)

·
The Anti-Rice
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CUBIC FEET

I'm looking for the same thing myself, hence why I was so upset to lose the auction on the a/d/s L810's ;)
So if Chad was buying direct would would you be looking at?

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Chads thinking of building 2XDayton 10HF a mid and a tweet.

Can't find what I want in my price range... I'd LOVE a set of big Dunlavy's

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I dont like the first set. Driver's not even countersunk. Id take the towers out of those two.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Technically, this design is best described as a Hybrid Omnidirectional Speaker System (HOSS), not a true omni. I refer to it as a hybrid because it is omnidirectional for only a portion of its frequency range: through the crossover to the tweeter, at which point it transitions to a direct firing monopole. I believe the hybrid concept combines the best features of both omni and monopole speakers. One of the knocks often made on omni speakers is that they don't image well. The HOSS's transition from omnidirectional in the bass and lower midrange to a monopole upper midrange and treble contributes to a large, deep, and lifelike soundstage, while maintaining the excellent imaging of a small monopole speaker.

Do a little search on the diy ht forums for lots of info worded better than I can.

Im thinking of building these when I finish grad school in May.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Yeah because I have no clue what that means. I'd have to see how it works for myself to really get it. It's just odd to me that the midbass is the only speaker not pointed directly at the listener when it's playing the frequencies that are easiest to localize.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
In theory, the room the speakers are in as well as their placement have just as much to add to the performance as the quality of the speakers themselves.

Speakers need room to breathe and placing them next to things like walls,tables, and other furniture cause reflections in the sound which scatter about the room. You can still hear them but at a slightly different time or delayed from the direct radiating sound of the speakers causing 'smearing' of the original sound.

Omnipoles eliminate these in a not so perfect room (which most are) by eliminating the direct radiating part of the sound being on axis..it scatters all of the sound around the space. I'm not saying omnipole speakers are the absolute, just in most furniture crowded rooms with speakers locked up against the wall or sqeezed in the corners, they offer an alternative where they can add depth in the passband of the mids. then the on axis tweeter brings the detail. It sounds interesting but only got to mess with mirages and I liked them so I want to give a good diy setup a try. I mean if it won the best sounding speaker at the diy meet it cant possibly be bad.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have old (circa 1996-1997) Energy Veritas 22.3's (towers) Dual 6.5" + 1" dedicated L+R units (baffles are asymmetrical). They are floor standing, about 4.5' tall.

They are smooth, rolling on the bottom end, but not "theater" bass... very musical. When I want the theater rumble, an OLD school Alpine 12" 6000 series sub in a custom "end table/enclosure". But it rarely gets played. I really need a better amp for the sub. Looking for one to actually mount in enclosure.

Anyway. If I had the perfect situation: my Energy towers in my "listening room" & a set of decent sized bookshelves & a great powered sub for 5.1/theater system. I've tried numerous times to have 1 system do both... just doesn't work... I want a dynamic,transient, fast bookself & monster sub for movies.

I like both choices you showed. Nice looking pieces. Wish I could hear them.

Rob

1 - 20 of 36 Posts